Modwright PS 9.0 and 9.9 Power Supply Rectifiier Tubes

After extensive listening to more than a dozen different rectifiers, I concluded that my Phillips 5R4GYS, 1949 RCA 5U4G, and 60's Mullard GZ32 5V4 were superior in the PS 9.0 and 9.9 to any 5AR4/GZ34 I have tried including NOS Mullards and the Phillips metal base 5AR4. The RCA 5U4G and Mullard 5V4 are pretty close in sound quality, and both are more articulate and natural sounding than the Phillips 5R4GYS. I also picked up an NOS 1944 Tung Sol 5U4G (not the 5U4GB) which by a small margin (lower noise floor) was the best rectifier tube I had heard in the Modwright PS 9.0 and 9.9 until the new Sophia Electric blue 274B arrived in today's mail. This special 274B is designed to be a direct replacement for the 5U4G (and substitutes). I started listening to it in the PS 9.0 and right out of the box it produced the most natural piano tone I have ever gotten from my system. With about 30 hours on it I am comfortable in saying that it is the best sounding rectifier that I have ever heard in the PS 9.0 and 9.9.

Jeff Day has reviewed this tube for Positive Feedback and on his "Jeff's Place" blog for anyone who is interested.
128x128cellcbern
It took a while but I found an NOS GEC/MWT U52 5U4G.  After extended listening I find the Sophia Aqua 274B to be a little bright in my Modwright PS 9.0 power supply, and soundstage depth to be a little lacking. The U52 is more midrange centered, has superior tone and timber, and expands the soundstage particularly front to back, compared with the Aqua 274B.  It is the best rectifier I've ever heard in the PS 9.0.  2nd best among the rectifiers I tried in the PS 9.0 was a 1940's military Tung Sol 5U4G black plate.       
I like the Sophia's... Bettered the Phillips mentioned above.. Then I tried a late 1950's Mullard fat base rectifier tube.. Beats them all !!  They're not cheap.. About $250 on Brent Jessee Recording's website.. 
With 200 + hours on the Sophia aqua 274B the slight brightness is gone, soundstage depth has improved, and the soundstage is both wider and taller than with the GEC U52.  The U52 has a slight edge in tone and timbre and is a little more refined.  These are the two best tubes I've heard in the Modwright PS 9.0/9.9.   
old post from 2018

fwiw - uk or dutch 5ar4 is the last word on rectifiers for modwright ps 9.0 (and slightly later japanese ones made on mullard tooling)

imho really no sense messing around with others