Best CD player now made.

I am interested in getting the best CD player out there as one of my digital sources. I have a few candidates but I wanted some other opinions. Any suggestions on the Sony's top player or Mark Levinson, or even the BAT tubed affair. I realise the Transport and the DAC might be superior but I wanted to stay below 5 digits. Thanks,
thomasea1
HAVE OWNED A SONY CDP - XA7ES FOR 3 YEARS, IT HAS EXCELLENT SOUND AND VERY RELIABLE. CABLING VERY IMPORTANT,TRIED MANY HAD EXCELLENT RESULTS WITH SYNERGISTIC LUMINESCENCE II FROM CD TO PREAMP & KALEIDOSCOPE II PREAMP TO AMP.
I bit the bullet and bought a Levinson, and I don't miss that money for a second. I'm stunned a CD player can have this much impact on a system, but it did to mine. It's so much better than the c-j I had.
To be honest, I have been out of the market for years. I heard a Sony CD ES77X in 1989, could not afford it, but got the 55 instead. There was a difference, but the 55 did have a soundstage, unlike other CDPs and honestly, I have not bothered to listen to anything since. I had heard mega buck US attempts at musical CD players, DACs, etc. But, to my utter shock and amazement, the Sony blew them all away. I believe, that if you have the three grand, you shold get the decendent of the first musical CDP, and in 10 years or so, you too may be amazed that as much gear has come and gone, your Sony remains. :-) Lou
The Melos DVT 24/96 with all tube analog output stage waxes the BAT VK-D5 in A/B comparisons. The Melos also bested the ARC CD2 in the same A/B comparisons. Both the BAT and ARC sound dry and thin compared with the Melos. The BAT has a better feel to its mechanism but sound wise there is no comparison on 16/44.1 stuff. The Melos sells for $1895 new and with some of the Chesk/Classic 24/96 recordings sounds as good as many high-end TT setups.