Best CD player now made.

I am interested in getting the best CD player out there as one of my digital sources. I have a few candidates but I wanted some other opinions. Any suggestions on the Sony's top player or Mark Levinson, or even the BAT tubed affair. I realise the Transport and the DAC might be superior but I wanted to stay below 5 digits. Thanks,
thomasea1
The Pioneer DVD 414 will outperform most of the CD players listed here. The going price for this $550. player is usually around $350.00. The Jolida is another alternative. I prefer to use the Jodida when a laid-back sound is desired and the DVD Player for accuracy and detail. Don't waste money on an expensive CD player until you can determine what the future technology will be. These are my personal opinions, but you may also agree after doing some of your own listening.
Over the years the best equipment..analog, digital,amp, pre-amp, CDP......whatever has always been either slightly or highly modified versions of stock units. All devices have their pro's and con's, even top end reference units. As for a CDP I'm all for transport/DAC/anti-jitter box combos. Digital techionolgies change so fast that you're out-dated before you buy. A good transport (G&D Transports top end unit is truly world class) with a good DAC and perhaps a Monarchy DIP/SUPERDIP(both in series) combo and you've a great CD device thats hard to beat. Personally I think buying a $5-7,000 CDP is absurd unless you have $$ to burn, then go for it. A CDP combo allows easy and relatively painless up-grading without getting whacked on the $$ loss of a all in one unit.
Stay away from the Sony high end stuff. I agree with the Meridian 508.24. It was way better than the ARC CD-2 I had.
Anyone heard of MSB Technologies (Mark Brasfield) - based out of Moss Beach;CA? Supposedly , he makes a killer CD player that rivals Meridian 508