Looking for a pre-amp (Pass, ARC, BAT, Sim, PS Audio)

Hello,

I would like some recommendations regarding what preamp to try in my system where I currently have a PS Audio DSD, Pass x250.8 and a pair of Focal Diva Utopias with all synergistic research interconnects. Just sold a PS Audio BHK preamp which was pretty nice, but would like something a bit faster without compromising the stage of the BHK. By-the-way, it was noticeably better having the BHK in the system then not having the preamp at all.

I am considering the ARC 5, 5SE, LS28, or the BAT VK42SE, 52SE, 33SE, or the Simadio P7, P8 Or Pass XP20, 22 next. I don’t see my-self zeroing in on any other brand/models right now.  I listen all all kind of music on Vinyl, CDs and stream Tidal.

Would you mind sharing your personal experiences with any of the above preamps (especially to contrast and compare these models/brands together). Would really appreciate any advise on which of the above preamps to go for. Thank you!
Ag insider logo xs@2xjmarshak
@llkmi Simaudio Moon P8. Slightly warmer but it edged out. It was very hard to compare..the XP22 was excellent, airy, detailed, full of magical fidelity. The Moon just started whispering to the ear however . It was an unbelievable effect in the room that I could not recreate with any other preamp. Then, once I settled on the P8, I actually got a 850P on loan for a few days to see where this is going to go. It was also incredible in my new set up (i changed some other stuff around). The 850P was ’possibly’ even a tad more detailed....but I did not regret giving the 850p back (yes, mostly because of price). Bottom line, if you can get your hands on a P8 for fair price in decent condition, then IMHO don’t hesitate.
@jmarshak, I did mention the SimAudio preamp (740P in my case) mated with the 250.8 was pretty special :)   I'm still enjoying the two very much.  I wonder how the two chassis P8 compares to the newer single box 740P?
Hi @ddafoe
I don’t doubt the 740P / X250.8 sounds special based on past experience but I actually never heard the 740P in my set up so I can’t definitively comment. .. Still, Sim knows what they are doing when it comes to preamps and I keep saying that the X250.8 is a pass sweet spot.

One thing I do want to mention about the XP22 - if anyone is considering a pass preamp. You cant go wrong with Pass! The XP22 is excellent and Pass Labs customer service, support, concern for their customers and professionalism can not be beat (period) and yes I am referring to the man, Kent English :)

Happy listening..
Happy to stumble on this thread as well.  I agree that Sim knows preamps.  Just completed a 2 week stint of comparing my 740p with an 850p and the ARC Ref 10 in my predominantly Sim system.  Definitely had been curious to test the Pass preamps as well.