Best CD player now made.

I am interested in getting the best CD player out there as one of my digital sources. I have a few candidates but I wanted some other opinions. Any suggestions on the Sony's top player or Mark Levinson, or even the BAT tubed affair. I realise the Transport and the DAC might be superior but I wanted to stay below 5 digits. Thanks,
thomasea1
I had a sony xa7es & sold it after I heard,in my house,the meridian 508.20. I then sold the 508.20 when I heard,in my house,the 508.24!!!!!!!!!! Nothing even comes close!!!!!!!!!
I agree there is no "best". All the products mentioned are fine indeed. A unit in the same league at sub-$2500 pricing is the Enlightened Audio Designs Ultradisc 2000. Perhaps not quite as "sweet" as the Linn, but not off by much! Build quality sets standards.
I am surprized that no one has yet mentioned the Accuphase products. Their prices are right up there by the stratosphere. To you guys that heard the DP55, 65 or 75, well.... are they that good ? Or have they passed the point of diminishing returns - if you know what I mean. Thanks
I agree that this is all a matter of taste, but in my opinion the MERIDIAN 508.24 has got to be the best cdp I've ever heard. I liked it's music much better than the LINN Sondek CD12, KRELL, or NAIM. Again this is subjective, but if I had $4000.00 laying around I'd get the Meridian.
it sounds as if alot of you have quite a bit of money laying around to purchase home audio. how about throwing some of it my way or at least help me out. All I need is a toshiba dvd player it's only 300 bucks I mean come on some of you are spending 3 to 5 grand on a cd player. I am not joking help me out..