Best CD player now made.

I am interested in getting the best CD player out there as one of my digital sources. I have a few candidates but I wanted some other opinions. Any suggestions on the Sony's top player or Mark Levinson, or even the BAT tubed affair. I realise the Transport and the DAC might be superior but I wanted to stay below 5 digits. Thanks,
thomasea1
Just wanted to follow up here. I thought about purchasing that said unit, but heard so many negative things about DIGITAL volume control - you know, throwing away bits etc. So the present target may be the ML#39, volume in the analog domain, they are all in the $5K range anyway. Has anyone really compared listening to Analog vs digital volume control. Picky, but bear with me. Thanks
i have heard the #39 and alot of others. the levinson is the best let your ears be the judge? IF ANYONE IS SELLING ONE PLEASE E MAIL I WANT ONE THANKYOU.also listen to the metronome KILLER KILLER
i have heard the #39 and alot of others. the levinson is the best let your ears be the judge? IF ANYONE IS SELLING ONE PLEASE E MAIL I WANT ONE THANKYOU.also listen to the metronome KILLER KILLER
I was worried about that "throwing away bits" problem with digital volume too. But the Wadia can be adjusted to match the sensitivity of you speakers so that you use it in the upper half of the volume range where you dont lose any of the music. I heard the Lev39 and its a very nice piece too, but its s a $1000 more than the Wadia and Wadia matches (looks) more with my Krell FPB amp (both wife factors I might add) so I went with the Wadia.
I own a BAT cd player, and have subsequently auditioned a number of transport/dac combos - Levinson comes to mind. Also, the Muse just released combo that doubles for DVD/Audio and Home Theater.The BAT was soooo much more musical. I can't imagine anyone regretting the purchase. I audition just to see if there is something out there that pleases these ears better than the BAT. Have not heard it yet.