Time to upgrade - need advice - budget $7,500

Hey guys and gal, :)

My first post here but long time lurker when in need of some audio advice.

I’ve got a chance to make some upgrades but I’m having trouble coming to a decision. For reference this is a 2.1 setup in my living room that also plays the TV audio. Currently using Epos Elan 30 floorstanders with Emotiva PT-100 and A-300. I’ve also got Bluesound Node 2 for streaming and Paradigm Servo15 sub. Rega P3 for occassional use.

I’m pretty happy with the speakers overall and I’m optimistic they can sound even better with better source and power. I think the majority of my budget would be best spent by upgrading the pre/power side of things and have been looking at the Hegel H190 or H390 to replace the Emotiva’s. They seem to get really good reviews and I really like the aesthetics of the product itself which, to me, is a factor.

What i’m not so sure about is the built-in DAC and streaming. I don’t really want to get tied into a product that 5 years from now is obsolete and I will have to be adding a new DAC to keep up with the times. The H390 does MQA and DSD but is also quite a jump in price over the H190 - basically my entire budget. From what i’ve heard the H190 will be more than enough power but is now a couple years old and does not do MQA or DSD.

Would I be better off finding a separate streaming and power amp solution? I can then always upgrade the streamer as technologies advance and as needs change.

Also looking at SVS SB-3000 to update the sub mostly for it’s room correction and price relative to the competition.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

M

mattshere
I have a RME ADI2-DAC that goes through my Luxman CL38 tube preamp. Just smooths out the digital hash from the streaming. If you get the 507 Lux use the balanced inputs w/your Mytek. Killer sound.
UPDATE:

I picked up the Lux L-507uxii from the dealer on Saturday and he was kind enough to lend me their demo pair of Harbeth SHL5+ as I had heard the combo in the store when I bought the lux. I as pretty sure i was going to place an order if they sounded anywhere near as good in my room.

I brought it all home and first setup the 507 on top of the box in my living room so I could A/B between the old emotiva stuff using my Epos Elan 30’s. It took all of about 10 seconds to hear what a major improvement in sound quality the Lux was over the Emotiva. Absolutely blown away. Massive dynamics and bass notes that I didn’t think my speakers were capable of. The top end is wide open with air that filled the room but never harsh or brash. Just smooth and warm but also tight and controlled. We played about 15 tracks occasionally switching back to the Emotiva but it was laughable. I used to have some mid bass bloat and nasally mids that is gone as well. At this point I am shocked and relieved that my big investment has actually paid off. My wife was skeptical and even she could hear from upstairs just how much clarity and quality compared to the Emo. Really pleased at this point.

I removed all the Emo gear and moved the Lux into place hooking up another set of speaker cables into the B binding posts for hooking up the Harbeths. Setting them up next to the Epos in my room about 3’ from the side walls and about 2’ from the back wall (bay window) we played a few tracks going back and forth between the 2 sets. This was a much closer race as the Epos played lower and sounded fuller than the SHL5 with the latter being definitely more neutral and maybe faithful to the material. The Epos is more sensitive so we had to adjust the volume slightly between them but even with the 5’s turned up I couldn’t quite get want I wanted out of them. I tried moving them moving them closer, further, wider, narrow but it didn’t seem to matter. I found the soundstage wide but not as easy to locate the instruments just an overall bigger sound. The mids are sweet but they just didn’t have enough depth for me. Not enough impact. I will say these Epos (which until the Lux I had basically written off) have pleasantly surprised me. The imaging is now great with instruments coming out of the far left and right sides of the room when present and have new low end that I didn’t know existed. These are maybe not the most neutral or "audiophile" speaker but to me, in this room they bested the SHL5 and saved me spending $7,500 on a set of anniversaries. 3 out of 3 of us all agreed the Epos sounded better. We listened over a 5 hour period and all typed of material and while there were definitely some things the Harbeth did better but for me, as an everyday speaker I preferred the Epos. I really wanted to love the Harbeths and was prepared to drop the cash. I love the old school look and the natural wood finish but the sound just didn’t work for me.

Next upgrades are cables. Power, speaker & IC’s. My dealer sell Nordost so was thinking about maybe going with the Purple Haze all around. Also like the idea of some canadian boutiques like Take Five Audio who are selling Neotech but his have some silver/copper hybrid that i’m not sure I want in my system. Any thoughts or experience with this would be appreciated. Currently running some 15 year old Ultralink challenger 14/12 speaker, blue jeans IC’s and stock power cord.