Speakers on floor?

Mapleshade sells some speaker stands and seems to advocate putting small speakers on the floor on small stands (thick wood) and aiming the speakers up at an angle.

Have any of you tried this?
What was the effect?

Thanks,
Art
artmaltman
I agree with Kal. I have tried many of the tweaks advocated by Mapleshade, and my experience has been less than positive.

I have tried may different speakers on the floor, albeit with thick cutting boards underneath and not Mapleshade products. No good for me. I would have to say the same thing about their advice regarding speaker and seating positioning. Me no like.

Maybe these guys have better ears than I do, or are using wildly different gear than I have, or I've just been doing it wrong all these years.
12-20-10: Onhwy61 wrote:
The concept is well grounded in theory. It greatly reduces the floor bounce cancellation effect. You may or may not like the resulting sound.

Nope. It changes the frequencies that are most affected by floor bounce and/or SBIR but it does not minimize the influence unless you have a favorite frequency.

Kal
I suppose one could argue that regardless of the effect, the speakers were developed and voiced for traditional floor stands?
Artmaltman, Or a book shelf close to the wall which happens to be a room boundary and room boudaries support low frequencies. Except most folks pull the speakers a few feet into the room distancing the speaker from all room boundaries. The floor is another room boundary and could give the listen the sound they are looking for while maintaining the improved imaging of placing the speakers into the room.
Funny this came up just one day after I placed my Grand Veena speakers right on the floor without their spikes.

The GV have been reported to be a bit shy in the bass.
Not now.

In fact all the frequencies seem a tad more robust.

The speakers are tilted back already for time alignment so no need to fuss with that.

I need to spend a few more days running spikeless with the speaker sitting on a carpeted(not thick pile)concrete basement floor.

Maybe it's just the difference in height to my ears, but I don't think so, as the tone never changes with the spikes even when I sit upright or stand up.

I know this goes against the grain and harkens back to the days when spikes were just snake oil to the purists, but there is something to be gained this way with my set up.

Has anyonelse had any similare spikeless experiences?