Avalon Acoustics vs Wilson Audio

I would like to know how Avalon's sound compared to Wilson's. I heard that they have a similar sound, but just want to make sure from other peoples experience. I have heard, Sophia 3's, Sasha w/p, and the x2. I liked all 3 models. I haven't heard any Avalon's yet. I will definitely be looking to audition. Just thought I would ask for now.

My budget ($15k-$30k)is pretty broad for the sake of keeping an open mind. Realistically I'm thinking $20k'ish. That price is just for the pair of speakers mind you.

My current setup consists of Paradigm studio 60's v.5 (mains), cc-590 v.5 (center), studio 10's v.5 (rear's), Arcam avr-600. Primarily its an HT system, but I use it for music alot as well. It's a pretty good sounding system, but I've grown out of it for music. Its a superb setup for gaming and movies though. This is pretty much why I'm thinking of a dedicated 2ch setup.

Second option, is to upgrade my current system with better speakers. Use an outboard dac dedicated for music in conjunction with the avr-600. It would still be a 5ch system in the end though.

Any thoughts?
kazmann
The current Sasha is more efficient than even the new generation 802d's.

Yes that is true. But it is not low efficency that makes the speaker difficoult to drive - it is the impedance curve (1.8Ohm minimum in case of Sasha) and phase angle.

IMO Sophia 3 would be much better choice - cheaper, easy to drive, not as revealing as Sasha (or Eidlon Diamond), better dynamics than Avalon. I wouldn't even think twice.
really, it depends on listening preferences (but wilsons will cover more musical genres than avalons). if it were me, frankly, i'd do the following:
A) buy wilson WP 8s or Sophia 3s
B) have dealer set up properly
C) use balance of budget for better electronics & room treatments

i own WP6s, and after years, i still find fine tuning them to bring heretofore unknown revelations on my recordings, while being very musical (thanks to good gear, proper cable matching & removing AC grunge).
I haven't heard the previous versions of the Sasha, but the new one is a great speaker. It’s superb with music and movies. It features a new midrange driver that was co-designed with its supplier exclusively with Wilson. Whatever they did does wonders because I really enjoy the Sasha.

Bjesien, I'm very grateful to even own what I have now. So I can't complain. I'm a fairly new audiophile, and I don't want to make mistakes with my purchases. Believe me I'm not anywhere near loaded nor do I make a 6 figure salary. I will agree with you about a budget on source upgrades though. I haven't quite factored that in yet, and I should. I should be doing a budget for everything and not just the pair of speaker’s.

Elberoth2, that is what I worry about in the Avalon's (dynamics and detail). Those two qualities I would say are extremely important in a listening experience. If it sounds to warm or too lush I do not perceive that as a natural sounding speaker. I don't think those characteristics in sound is a viable solution to my goal. Then again I may hear them, and think differently.

If for whatever reason I decide not to go with the Sasha and/or Avalon's "assuming I like them" I will go with the B&W 802d's. I like the 802d's better than the Sophia 3's personally. The 802d is a really fast speaker. It might even rival the Sasha in speed. Now granted the 802d doesn't quite have the imaging qualities of a Sasha, but the sound quality is similar. One of my local dealers does carry both brands, I should see if I can arrange a side by side comparison.

This is where I feel I'm at right now for potential setups. It's one or the other as I've mentioned before.

-2ch- *est* >$40k
speakers: Sasha or Avalons
source: Jeff Rowland, Ayre Acoustics, Simaudio
cables: Analysis-plus solo crystal oval 8 speaker wire, and solo crystal interconnects / xlo electric

-HT- *est* <$30k
speakers: 802d's/htm2d cen.
source: Avr600, Ayre Acoustics qb-9 dac, or Simaudio 300d dac
cables: Analysis-plus oval 9 speaker wire

I already have a Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2 power conditioner, a Richard Gray 400pro power conditioner, 12ft and 8ft pair of Analysis-plus oval 12 speaker wire, and 9ft Analysis-plus oval 12 bi-wire. For audio source I'm currently using a custom computer I built that fits in my rack connected to my avr600 via digital connection. All the following is in use on my current setup.

I know in the end its really up to me to decide which path I should take, but it is really nice taking all the advice I can get. Thanks guys
802d is a really fast speaker.

Ive heard tons of remarks about the 802D but never ever that it was fast.If anything one of the major slaps about that speaker is its way too slow and bloated in the bass,extremely "lush" with that famous Brit sound BTW I hate...and to say Avalon is "to warm or too lush" is just silly at best.Your talkin to the wrong people my friend.IMO listen again to those 802s before ya buy!
I haven't heard Wilson and Avalon extensively but one perspective I've noticed hasn't come up a great deal is Musical taste in the thread. I've heard Sashas , Maxx3 and various Avalon's except Eidolon's. At the money you're talking I think their is a clear difference between the two ranges and they suite different tastes. Like others have mentioned tonally the Avalons are exceptional but they lack the heft of the Wilsons. If you're a rocker I'd expect you'd have a preference for the Wilsons if its classical/acoustic then perhaps the Avalons. The Sashas get much closer to the Avalons than WP8s in terms of top to bottom coherence if not quite there but then they both shift more air than an Indra and you really notice that listening to rock/pop etc material.