Mundorf M-Tube in Tube Amplifier Power Supply

Is anybody have experience using Mundorf M-Tube in tube amplifier power supply?
How do they compared to other capacitors like: ClarityCap  TC600, Audio Note Kaisei, Elna Cerafine?
Regards,
Alex.
alexberger
Hi @grannyring ,

I installed two ClarityCap TC600 50uF capacitors (one per channel) to 300B B+ of my amplifier.
You can see it in my system pictures.
I didn’t remove old Nichikon capacitors I just put ClarityCap as bypass to Nichikons with 20 Ohm resistor for separation.
The sound (with zero break-in) is listenable, not bad at all.
The sound-stage on complex music is more stable. The instruments separation is better.
In general, amplifier is quitter.
High frequencies more extended, and detailed. Cymbals sound a little bit dirty. But flutes, violins sound more smooth. Bass has a more weight.

How much time takes break-in of ClarityCap TC600 ?

Regards,
Alex.

I guess I would have replaced the electrolytics and just used the Clarity. The mix may not sound as good as desired. The Clarity TC caps can replace electrolytics of much higher value. I would just remove the Nichicons from the circuit and go 100% Clarity TC for best sound.

Give the TCs some 150 hours to break in.

Hi @grannyring ,

Power supply CLC filter in my amplifier is one for both channels.   
I use 20 Ohms resistors to separate left and right channel B+.
Previously both channel B+s where the same point - the capacitor after the choke. 
After a break-in, I will try to remove Nichicons (and probably 20 Ohms resistors)  as you told.
I will check what does sound better for me.

I'm also thinking  about changing Nichicons in input and driver stages power supply to Munforf M-Tubes 30uF (I don't have enough space for ClarityCap T600 in my amplifier).

Regards,
Alex
Hi @grannyring ,

Thank you for advice!

1. I run these new ClarityCap capacitors for 4 hours with Frubaby2 connected to amplifier input + 5 hour with normal music playing.
So far so good. The difference between ClarityCap T600 and Nichicons is very impressive! It is more significant than difference between Hashimoto vs James Audio output transformers!
High frequencies are very extended, detailed and smooth, bass is deeper and has more weight. Much more details, air and separation between musical instruments, bigger sound-stage. In general sound is more "analog" with less grain and haze. Image of musical instruments (like piano) are more stable and have more body.

2. Next step to remove Nichicons and 20 Ohm resistors between choke and ClarityCap (output B+).

3. After that, I will exchange Nichicons to Mundorf 30uf in driver B+ and input B+.
I need 4 capacitors (2 per each channel).

4. I know some people blame ClarityCap T and Mundorf M-Tube capacitors for bright and too analytical sound. But I think the issue is modern speakers with very bright tweeters that these people are using. They need amplifier with hazed, muddy high frequencies to make these speakers sound right.

Regards,
Alex.

Hi,

I did  step 2 - removed Nichicon capacitors 2x100uF and 2x20 Ohm resistors (one resistor per channel) between choke and ClarityCap (output B+).
I don't like results. Bass become lightweight. As result too light tonal balance and
less information from lower mid-range to deep bass, less body of instrument.
Probably sound without  Nichicons a little more clean and airily, but the difference in very small.
Probably 100uF is not enough for 2x 300B tubes in class A with total idle current 130mA?  Before adding ClarityCaps output stage B+ capacitance was 200uF and when Nichicons and ClarityCaps were used together - 300uF .    
So, I going to return  Nichicon capacitors 2x100uF and 2x20 Ohm resistors back.

I'm not disappointed at all. It was a good experience for me.

Regards,
Alex.