Replacing Manley Neo-Classic 300B

Trying to upgrade from my current preamp and it is a jungle out there.  Looking for improved resolution and imaging.  A sticking point is the attenuator.  The Manley has an Alps Blue Velvet which seems to get only average reviews.  All signal goes through these things.  Shouldn't they be much better.  Researched Khozmo, Goldpoint and others which seem to get great reviews.  It's just finding preamps with really upgraded attenuators is tough.

Looking at the Backert Rhythm 1.3, but it also has an Alps Blue Velvet albeit they say a modified one.

Decware looks very nice, running a carbon composite attenuator and of course all the good stuff, point to point wiring and great parts.

Allnic L-1500 looks promising and has a silver stepped attenuator and nice topography.  Sure, the Allnic L-7000 is probably terrific.....at $16,500!

I know preamp design involves whole concept, but I'm not finding a fully coordinated attack on the whole thing.  Thanks for constructive information. 

celtic66
I am not going to sit here and tell you that I have critically compared the world’s best ~$10,000 to $15,000 preamps but I have heard a great many in individual settings and I decided upon an ARC Ref 6 and would confidently say it is among the best at the price-point. The Ref 6 implements a resistor-ladder network volume control. I agree that one of the most essential elements of any preamp, particularly at the very top tier, is the volume control. 
I tried the TKD don't remember model but it was $100 in one of my tube preamps replacing a Alps black pot? I'm  now using the Goldpoint dual pots which I really like. The TKD was very detailed and clean sounding but sterile and felt it sucked the life out of the music. The gold point has nice natural sound very full without sounding bloated with great detail retrieval. If you look at there website on diy section you can see where you can add resistors to adjust gain to your liking if you feel you are getting to much gain between each step which I did, mine was 24 step. It's a very easy mod taking only a few minutes per pot. You can also adjust sound slightly with your choice of resistors only costing a couple bucks in parts. The build quality is solid and obviously well made once in your hand.

An excellent opportunity is a L-1500 special currently going on.  $4700 new, in silver.  This has the L-7000 transformers and some other circuit upgrades to accommodate the transformers.  

This was a few month project spearheaded by David Beetles.  I have a unit myself.  

20 units made, 5 sold so far.  Check out the kevalin audio.