New York Audio Show 2019

My  buddy and I attended Friday for the first time and had a  fun time and meet some  cool people.
Granted there is some  very  high end equipment on display but it is fun to check it out...and at least dream alittle about owning it.

Here are some thoughts for the group.

Press  got in at 11:00 AM so we had to wait  but we decide to  go  visit John and Eric from Ohm during this  time and spent over an hour spinning some SACDs and listening to the Ohm Walsh's, which offer  full room stereo. My  buddy and I are big fans of Ohm speaker since the Tech Hifi days. I currently own three pairs. L2's, C2's and a pair or Ohm refurbished super H's, which are the anchor of my HT rig.

We put on the Mofi SACD of Jefferson Airplane's final album,Volunteers. One of the writers walked in and smiled and  said "someone is playing some real  music." The Walsh's sound full and  vibrant and handled Jorma's distortion and Jack thundering bass of the rockin' opening track " We Could Be Together" with no  problem. There was no sub-woofer added  either.

I also found out John was an opera fan, like me, and I offered another SACD I brought to play. Handel's La Maga Abbandonata featuring Simone Kermes and Maria Beaumont with Alan Curtis conducting the ensemble. This is where the Walsh's blew me  away, they  did have a Carver amp/pre as part of their rig, as the  female voice is always a  wonderful indicator of the true depth, capability, and beauty of a loud speaker. The Walsh's offered up exquisite  spatial separation of the soprano Kemes and contralto Beaumonte and when Kermes  unleashed her operatic  power it was extremely satisfying hearing the Walsh's deliver the goods of this wonderful recording.

I will offer up some of my personal highlight of the afternoon from here on out not trying to wade into territory outside of my technical wheel house.

The loud speaker that really stole the show for me, no it was not the $430K ESD rig; although I thoroughly enjoyed hearing The Stones " Satisfaction" playing off a stellar reel to reel in that  set up, was PureAudioProject" Trio15 Classic. The vendor, sorry I forgot  his name but he was very informative and down to earth, played some  classical and some French  female  vocal jazz that was simply sublime sounding. These  speakers, at $10K a pair, blew away all the other speakers we heard at dramatically much higher  price points. He was playing digital tracks off his lap top that were not going through a  DAC either. Myself and others were shocked how good it sounded. He was using a Roland Pro AR-200R I believe as he said it cost only $700. These are  2 way, although I think he used the term 1.5 way the way they are designed and they  sound full, vibrant and completely present. They a have an wonderful classic look as well.

Value Electronics also had a great set set up that featured Technics high end reference  series which sounded impressive.

Blink High End Audio featured  much going on as the rep from the store in Republic of Cambridge was trying to educate as well as sell. He was comparing vinyl and digital in real time along with showcasing the stunning performance of the Borg, yes resistance is futile, and the  Julieta from Kroma Audio, which is a Spanish company. The Julieta had alot of natural punch and as did the Borg. Both were very alive and made you take notice and filled the room with chest pounding  bass., The white modern look of  both  speakers was not the most aesthetically pleasing to this reviewer but I will leave that to you to decide.

The Tweak Studio also had a wide array of killer sounding equipment as well.

Room 700 may have been the music lover's room to stop by and  sit and listen. With Sound By Singer  staging a  $90 K system it was quite impressive. The digital  hub was an impressive CH Precision up-scaling  DAC along with  amps and pre that drove a stunning  pair of Stenheim Infinite loud speakers that were  a  workhorse of handling a wide musical variety. Whether it was the classical guitar version of Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela, what a treat! To the  Mofi 45 RPM release of Dylan's Blood on the Tracks these  speakers could deliver!

It was also fun to hear the  rep from Mofi talk  about the laborious and  time consuming effort to reach an agreement with  record companies to get the rights to remaster and re-release the classic albums we would like to hear. Next step is to to work with the artist to bring the product to market. He cited that it took 4 years to bring the Dire Straight albums to market. It is also difficult to always get the 33 RPM rights as well, as the record companies now see gold in them  dem hills and are now choosing to  re-issue the  vinyl themselves, often with lack luster results. That explains why many Mofi are now 45 RPM, of coarse they sound  better too.

The dude did turn us onto a  stunning vinyl re-issue from 1974 of the  Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio playing  Misty that was incredible through the Stenheim's I believe it is  on a label called Impact but could not find the pressing he had online. 

I finally got to hear a pair of Harbeth Monitor 40.2's too and they lived up to all that I have heard. Fidelis AV was playing that new Neil Young solo acoustic album and it sounded sooooo good.

In wrapping it up there was a clock maker from the UK, named Paul who was promoting his built from scratch turntable and phono amp. The company is called Onkk and his story is truly amazing, he has been working for  over three years to bring this incredible, and unusual looking  piece of engineering and clocking making technology to  fruition. I have a feeling you will be reading about  his story soon in one of the mags or online.

The  value of the show was the self powered speakers from Vanatoo. Staring at $349, 45 watts per channel, these little speakers pack alot of wallop and sound very good and can also be  hooked up to any subwoofer as well for more full room bass. They can  be set  up very easily and can connect via USB, bluetooth, coaxial, or optical and the two  guys who created them are very passionate about what they are trying to do. Another great story as well. 

Look forward to hearing more from others.

Best regards in stereo,
Idigmusic64

idigmusic64
@dweller  no clock winding or batteries required.

@audiotroy  thanks that mean alot coming from you guys.

@gdnrbob I did not get to hear these as they were having technical problems getting the system to fired up. It  took them like over 30 minutes to get things  going and when I went  back later the room was too packed.

I did forget to mention the set up of the Vinnie Rossi room, That L2 integrated amp was a thing of beauty, aesthetically and sonically.

The Qln speakers we also quite impressive. Understated but provided full range and richness and I enjoyed them the more I listened to them.  They were  being  played at a lower volume as well compared to others rooms. 
@OP, I agree the Qln speakers were very nice, but I felt they were being held back either by cabling or equipment. I would like to listen to them in a better room and with different equipment. Funny, but when I looked at the logo, I thought it was 'Ohm'.
The Haniwa system was playing an ancient Beatles record, which I felt was not the best music to demonstrate their equipments' capabilities, in my opinion.
Both Sound by Singer rooms were pretty unimpressive in performance.
B
I was at the show but somehow missed the Singer rooms. One I tried to go in was locked. I wanted to hear the Stenheim speakers as I’ve heard one their speakers sound good.

I think the Vinnie Rossi room sounded great- not necessarily because of the speakers but I feel it was the hybrid electronics and the careful setup of speakers 1/3rd out onto the room.

I am a huge fan of Mark Porzilli’s previous speakers, the Sceana. He was behind pipedream as well, and obviously knows his way around a line source speaker. His new ultra thin speakers in the Laufer room did some things incredibly well. They disappeared so well and threw a huge stage. I feel they would do better not being driven quite so full range to 200 hz and with a woofer section rather than just subs. Interestingly they are heated internally. I did feel some resonance in the aluminum (I believe) enclosures as it was playing and there was something a bit steely in the high end, but I think these show incredible promise from a tiny bit tall column of titanium drivers.

The 2 speakers in the Blink Audio room was great as well. The class A monoblock amps were a shocking $96k retail. When they replaced the those electronics with class AB/D (which I’ve never heard of) integrated from the same manufacturer, there was a huge loss of quality.

I wasn’t impressed by the massive $500k horn system (or its smaller version) playing in the large suites. Yes it could play loudly and was one of the few systems that could really reproduce an orchestra at full scale (actually larger because they were playing them so loudly). They were playing fantastic open reel recordings from Tape Project, but I somehow didn’t connect with presentation.

There were 2 different Martin Logan based systems. The larger (mono or Neolith) exhibited the usual compression and break up I hear in every ML show demo I’ve ever heard. The smaller speakers in another room actually sounded good.

I’m not sure what to think of the Orinda acoustics room. I have heard Sunny’s previous designs in one unnamed reviewer’s room sound utterly stunning, and an audio experience I will never forget. However I’m afraid the extremely nice Sunny Lo is victim of his own perceptions.
Year after year he uses a probably 15 year old CD player as a source (perhaps customized) in his demo room, failing to recognize that digital playback has evolved significantly. If I had to guess the electronics he uses are the reason the speakers he brings in never seem to sound good.  I’d love someone else to take over his marketing of speakers and find a combination that do them justice.  

Post removed 
I liked the Bache speakers with Alexus Audio amp and preamp with Brinkmann turntable.This system had great stage depth,great detail wonderful highs and midrange.