DMS 600 Owner review

DMS 600 Owner review

Media streams have become an integral part of most of us audio systems. Today most of the music is no longer consumed on physical media but by streaming (local or external jobs).

Beyond the convenience of streaming, the elimination of the need for physical media and the endless and accessible catalog are benefits for most people.

Those benefits were good enough for me that a few years ago I jumped to streaming solution myself and all ought I keep a broad catalog of physical media like disks and records 99% of the time I find myself using Tidal's streaming service.

Back to 2019, for about a week and a half I have been playing at home with Cary Audio DMS 600 streamer/DAC that, it replaced the DMS 500 that has accompanied me for more than two years.

Anyone who would like to read about the DMS 500 can find some reviews on the net, its fine and recommended streamer for anyone looking for device that knows how to do everything in a good to very good way.

During Munich 2019, Cary Audio announced 2 replacements for the DMS 500, the first DMS 550 that took everything that was good in the 500 and added some more - Upgraded DAC (AK4493EQ), more flexible setup options, additional streaming services, headphone amplifier and a few other small changes that caused a small increase in the outgoing generation price.

DMS 600 What's new.

Surprisingly or not, the people of Cary Audio decided to bring out a new flagship this season for the DMS 600.

The major changes between the DMS 500 and the new DMS 600

A. changes in the external body, it's now more massive than the previous model, the whole device stands

on spikes that sit on discs (to prevent resonance).

B. Separate internal cells (carrier, DAC, network cards)

C. Wider antennas allow improved reception of WiFi & Blue tooth signals

D. Upgraded DAC AKM4497EQ VERITA that delivers natural sound and clarity

E. AptX ™ technology has been upgraded to aptX ™ HD so that HD content can be streamed in Bluetooth as well

F. Enhanced dynamic range (130db) and signal to noise ratio (115db)

G. Support for additional streaming services

The above changes + the success of the previous generation + positioning have resulted in a steeper price increase for the DMS 600 than it's "little brother" the DMS 550.

Differences:

At first glance, anyone, who is unfamiliar with the previous device (DMS 500) will find it difficult to identify differences as the two resemble each other with some outer design change.

Since I know the previous model. I immediately recognized the external body changes the device has undergone, including a solid front panel connection to the rest of the body (in the outgoing model and DMS550 which uses the previous model body the front panel stands out of the device). Also, new "legs" one that comes with spikes mounted on the base so that the device sits higher than the outgoing model and suppose to eliminate resonance.

The back connections (with the exception of wider antennas) remained the same (i.e. XLR, RCA ports) digital and optical ports, network inputs, and USB connections that allow HD connection to the device directly (additional input is on the front along with HD input)

The device's settings menu has been expanded to allow for more options, the most important to me is the option to change a remote code - one of the things I complained to Cary Audio as soon as I got the previous model that clashed with my Marantz's AV7703.

With the exception of changes to Cary Audio software settings, it feels the software remain the same (IOS, Android), but now works faster and more stable than before (since I use Roon beyond the Cary app device setting, I stay orphaned).

As in the previous generation and as in the DMS 550, here too, you can up sample and convert any file format in the real-time domain to DSD (you can convert up to DSD 512, depending on file and connection)

Sound:

The DMS 500 was characterized by warm sound with a certain roll off in the high tones which result "tube" sound.

Thanks to the new DAC, the DMS 600 releases clear, natural and homogeneous sounds that go beyond the previous generation, the difference was felt to me as soon as the device was connected and continues to taper as the device first 100 hours runs nearing completion.

All the good that was in the sound of the DMS 500 is here with a small audible change – no more roll off in the high notes. The sound more detailed and more natural (less on the hot side than before but still retains Cary's sound tuning DNA).

I found that I get performance better than I knew on my previous device, one that could satisfy me above and beyond, or at least until it found spar budget for top of the line MSB or lampizator.

Honestly, after checking in the system DACS that cost some 18,000 usd, the differences between DACs of a certain price level are not as abysmal as they used to be (I have heard a number of DACs in the system, some are expensive and found no significant differences if at all as the price indicates).

The current upgrade allows my setup to show better ability than before (it's not about drama, the sound is more clear and neutral than before). There is a leap in performance and better results than before – evolution not revolution.

Summary:

Anyone looking for a Streamer/DAC device that knows how to do everything – play and convert files in real-time while able to connect to almost anything, stop here - the DMS 600 is a "Swiss army knife" machine that knows how to do everything and knows how to do it very well - it is also recommended to compare devices that cost much more.

My feeling, if you take the DMS 600 to test drive you'll be hard to return it to your dealer.

Rest of my System:

Speakers: Magico S3 MK2

Amplification: Luxman c900u and m900u

Analog Source: Brinkmann Audio Bardo Turntable

Phono: Zesto PS

Speake and Power Cables: Cardas Clear

128x128exupgh12
I recently got the Cary DMS-600 to replace my old warhorse, the Cary 306 SACD Pro.  No contest, even with the Aurender N10 feeding the 306 and a Mac Mini feeding the DMS-600.  I didn't make a direct comparison since I had sold the N10 before getting the DMS-600.  No matter.  It is one of those instances where 5 seconds in you can hear the clear distinction between the two.  As noted above the AKM 4497 chip delivers slightly warm yet detailed sound that is within the traditional Cary house sound for its digital products.  This is no doubt a winner for Cary, one that is very under-reported.
Keep in mind its not just the AKM chip that create the end result, its the entire box, there for two components with the same DAC chip can sound different.
Crazy as last night I was watching a movie on HBO  thru the Cary’s optical. For 2 channel you would swear you where listening to a surround system. Rock sold center image, fantastic bass and front channels with enveloping sound. 

@fiza

since i didnt compare DCS or MBL on the same setup. I cannot say any more than: those two are good products (in the setups i heard them)

comparing setup to setup i still prefer mine