Separate subs for music and HT/surround

My stereo setup is comprised of Ayre 5/20 series digital hub, preamp and amp that drive KEF Ref 1s through a passive Marchand high-pass filter. For HT and surround, LR side and rear surround from an SP3 go to NAD Class D amps that drive LS50s. The SP3 receives HDMI from an Ayre DX-5 DSD, and its front LR output goes to a balanced by-pass input of the KX-5/20. I have two Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers that provide acoustic room correction, two HGS-10 subs, and two HGS-15 subs.

Question: Should I use one SMS-1 with the two HGS-10s for stereo and the other SMS-1 with the two HGS-15s for HT and surround music? I realize there are advocates for using 4 subs, and I could daisy-chain the SMS-1s, but separating the SMS-1s seems a neat way to keep stereo separate from HT.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Hey Ozzy,

You know what they say: 2 subs perform twice as well as 1, 4 subs perform twice as well as 2 and 8 subs are good grounds for a divorce. 
     I'm just using the four Audio  Kinesis Debra subs, 1'x1'x2' with 10" drivers, and I'm getting near sota bass performance in my room for both music and HT.  The only way I can even imagine the bass being improved is by using four JL F-113s

Enjoy,
 Tim
Tim won't like this, but my current plan is a stereo setup comprised of Ayre Series 5X Twenty components and KEF Ref 1s, and a surround/HT setup comprised of an Oppo 205, NAD M22, and a pair if NAD 268s with six LS50s.  Current thinking is to use the Velodyne HGS-15s for stereo, the HGS-10s for surround, but that could be reversed.  An Audible Illusions Modulus 3 might be used with the Thorens TD 124 in the stereo setup, making Roon, discs, and vinyl sources for stereo.  HDMI from the disc players would be for video only.

db 
Hello kgveteran,

?...Wtf... ? You've chosen to be a cowardly baby chicken?

Tim
Calling a $65 mic expensive, when discussing subwoofer systems costing thousands is plain silly.

no need to discuss what we do for a living since its pointless, and im sure you throw around what you do wherever and whenever Lol, no one really cares.

i suggest to new subwoofer Owners to do some reading on subwoofer placement, and further do some research on affordable microphones and free software. There are a lot of really good threads in other forums which take the scientific method of subwoofer placement, delay, gain settings, DSP ,So they can get all that good money they spent on the subwoofers to really pay out at the listening position.

Tim, have fun crawling, but in a world full of great methods and scientifically accurate procedures with results proving all i have stated, you Sir do nothing to progress, which is why you offer the methods you speak of. My guess its only because you just dont know your way around laptops and software, i do understand your plight 

kgveteran,

I think we should be respectful of the OP and thread readers by ending this crawl method sidetrack and returning to the original post topic.  
     But, just for your entertainment, I wanted to let you know that I've been using the crawl method successfully since I moved out from underneath that proverbial rock.

You're welcome,
      Tim
As i said, agree to disagree....

as to the OP, i have always had best performance running all subs from a single LFE output, most times running my subs hot for HT and backing off the SPL for music.