Klipsch speaker choices

Hello,
First post here but long time 2 channel guy. 

I currently have a system with Klipsch RF3 speakers and a crossover with stereo subs.  Sound is good but I think the highs and mids are still a bit edgy.  Bought a Schiit Aegir with passive preamp and see vast improvement.  All my interconnects and speaker wire have also been upgraded. I just listened to the RF7 iii but very briefly.  Initial impression is it was more laid back but I am wondering how that speaker sounds vs the Heritage box speakers.  I will probably listen to the Heresy 4 first but wondering if there is a difference in sound between the tower and the box speakers. 

I also have read about the Tekton speakers but am hesitant since I can't listen to them.  It is all over the place opinion wise about the Tektons.  The Klipsch Heresy are within driving distance for an audition.  They will have several models to listen to if I talk myself into going further up the cost ladder.  Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. 
128x128daledeee1
The RF series are good for home theater and occasional two channel listening.  The RF7s and RF83 will play loud and will rock, but there are much better speakers out there for not much more.  If you want speakers that will play loud and be more laid back and sound better than the RF-3, try to get your hands on some used Legacy Audio speakers.  You can sometimes find Focus 20/20 speakers for around $2000-$2500.  I have not heard the Legacy Audio Classics, but those can be had for less.
I use a Dennis Had 12wpc or so (depending on output tubes) amp with Heresy IIIs and they sound amazingly good with 2 REL subs (I had the subs before the Heresy IIIs). The Had amps are sole new only on Ebay and are in various styles, from $1200 or so to maybe 2 grand for a hand wired masterpiece. Note that the relative smallness (or shortness anyway) is a key feature of Heresy IIIs and one that I like...they’re far less physically obtrusive than Fortes and Cornwalls, and sound at least similar (from the mids up anyway). I heard the new Cornwalls recently and they’re a great sounding speaker but man...some largeness ya got there...also worth noting is the price...my Heresy III "Capitol Records Edition" (!) were $1500 new including shipping a couple of years ago (a great deal I know...still...) but Fortes are 4 grand a pair and Cornwalls are around 6...that’s a large difference, and likely worth it, but in a different league really.
If you like DIY projects, try a pair of Forte I's with Bob Crites crossovers, (or consider ALK crossovers), Crites titanium tweeter diaphragms, and an earlier (1970s in my case) Heresy midrange compression driver/diaphragm which were of higher construction/sound quality.  All were individual improvements to add depth and clarity while removing some of the "edgy" sound you may be referring to.  Total investment for the speakers in excellent oak cabinets was right at $1000 a few years ago, besting anything I've heard in that price range.  Pre amp and power amp (35 watts) are tubes, which have always provided a warmer sound than solid state for these high efficiency speakers.  At least have a tube pre amp in the chain.

(BTW, I also dampened the horns and did A/B comparison with mono source and heard no appreciable difference - just be sure the horns have there gaskets and are screwed tight to the baffle.)

This provided very good near field listening up to moderately loud listening in an open floor plan listening area with typical curtains, upholstered furniture, etc.  As others have said, the Forte's larger cabinet will provide a noticeably deeper bass than the Heresy and the passive radiator system they use is very good for tight bass, even compared to other speakers their size.  Tweeter and midrange compression drivers and horns are the same for Heresy and Forte with some crossover differences due to woofer crossed over higher in Heresy.

Then moved these modified Fortes to a 13' x 21' dedicated listening room with pine walls, drywall ceiling and some rugs on the floor.  Much more shrill and "edgy," with a smeared bass and loss of instrument placement, especially as the volume was turned up, compared to the first room mentioned.  Room treatments (absorption) including bass traps in all corners, first and second reflection points on wall and ceiling treatment above listening area now has them sounding better than ever with rich tones, open sound stage and all that.  The reflection point panels made the most difference taming the "edgy" sound.  And they sound great with everything from classical, jazz, blues, to well recorded rock (well recorded/engineered etc. being key here).

So room treatments can make a very big difference for any speaker depending on what type of room setting you have, so can be the best starting point.  Good luck finding what you're looking for.
Edit: To make one of my statements more specific and accurate regarding tweeters and midrange compression drivers and horns in the Heresy and Forte being the same, that is specifically for the Heresy I - III and the Forte I models.  Forte II use a different midrange horn and passive radiator, which some prefering the I vs. the II sonically.  The Forte III, as I understand it are slightly modified II's.  
I am not understanding, those that have dampened the mid and tweeter horns, and have not heard improvements, let alone, differences. Early on, the metallic horns were nasty, as they " rang ", and the later poly plastic horns, also have some resonance issues. I have performed hundreds and hundreds of damping mods, for myself, and others, and never had a situation, where a difference, of improvement, was not noticeable, and not appreciated. Not just Klipsch, btw.....cabinets, as well......Long live Klipsch.....