Beware: New (at least to me) scam being run on Audiogon members

First, let me say that Audiogon's swift response to my having notified them of the scam was exceptional. They immediately took down the scammer's account. The problem is that it could easily be repeated by this individual or anyone else at any time.

Yesterday, at the suggestion of a friend, I posted a WANTED post on USAudioMart for a very hard to find but relativity inexpensive item that I have unsuccessfully sought on Audiogon for almost a year. Within hours of posting there the scammer set up a new account on Audiogon and contacted me (I have the same user name on both sites) to offer me that very item. This person was knowledgeable enough to offer me the separate power supply by model number as well as the item I was seeking, which is scary in itself. The communication was very well spoken so there was nothing suspicious on its face. The time stamp on their communication incidentally indicated they were in the UK time zone, a fact Audiogon verified to me.

When I contacted Audiogon they were very pleased to be informed of this as they then discovered that the new "member" scammer had contacted 7 other Audiogon members with similar proposals. I want to point out that Audiogon responded to me in minutes of my reaching out to them through the normal website contact system. In this day and age of endless phone center number pressing to end up nowhere and automated email responses with "we'll get back to you within 72 hours" I found this to be very gratifying and commendable on Audiogon's part. 

I never see anyone comment on something else that I feel is worth mention that is separate but interesting to note in light of how this went down, so I will do so here. I have no idea how or why Greenville, SC was chosen or ended up being Audiogon's business location but, as someone who has spent a good deal of time there, I can honestly say that I know of no better location (I'm sure there are others as well) to find exceptional potential employees to hire. No regional bias. I live in AZ.

Thanks for listening.

Tony

skywachr
I too, am not seeing the foul play here; however, it does pay to be vigilant none the less.

When I sell items on the USAM site, I specify that only USAM members only can contact me and notice at least 25% of people contacting me have newly registered that day, which is not an inspiring feeling, but it’s not a capital offense or scam either.  I simply ask for more references until I feel comfortable.

After a few exchanges where we discuss audio gear, etc, I feel much more comfortable dealing with this new member.  If ever in doubt, I’ll get a phone number and I’ll have a conversation with the prospective buyer or seller.

Ive purchased many audio items from Craigslist’s in far away cities and after speaking with those people; I’m super comfortable with the transaction and things have gone very smoothly.

Perhaps if we go back to picking up the phone and having conversations with prospective buyers and sellers, the experience will be more enjoyable and these paranoid posts of I think I got I was getting scammed here but not really because I didn’t lose any money could be eliminated.

Caveat Emptor, buyer beware, do your homework before you buy & sell, speak on the phone, do more in person transactions if possible & don’t judge others by a new account, and if it doesn’t feel right, don’t do it are the best solutions. 
My intent in the original post was to offer a warning about a scam that I felt was being run and not to lay out a case for prosecution. Nevertheless at this point I feel it warranted to provide further facts for the benefit of the skeptics.

The item I was seeking was manufactured by a very small company that many in the audio business have never even heard of. The item was last manufactured in the early 2000s. The company ceased doing business entirely in 2006. The "seller" implied that he actually had more than one of these for sale to offer at a price significantly above the original price when new. When I said I was not interested he wanted to know what I would pay but indicated I needed to respond quickly. There must have been a sudden rush in demand. His time stamp showed that he was in the UK time zone but when asked his location said he was in CO but connected with a small business in the UK. I guess his prior efforts in this "business" had raised this issue in the past from potential "customers." Thus the ready answer.

A few further comments:

Scam is defined as "a dishonest or illegal plan or activity, especially one for making money."

The technical legal term for a scam is fraud. Attempting to commit fraud, even without money changing hands, is an actual offense as in "Detective, why am I being arrested for attempted murder when the shot I fired from my gun missed entirely or only maimed the person.

I know my intent was good in all respects and Agon was ready and willing to hear any complaints from the new member about why his account was taken down. They never heard from him. I repeat, as in the original post, he tried this on 7 other people the same day. brf (posting above) indicated he was probably one of the 7.

Agree with above

Tammy on the Gon is prompt to answer Q's and gets
answers to the very best of her ability--at least we can now deal with a real person.

Kudos!

Team
Thanks for sharing, OP. I, for one, appreciate it. Sounds like it’s likely a scam. For those who doubt you, I bet it’ll be different when it’s their turn, and a stranger is asking for money.  
Due diligence, and if it has feathers, wings and quacks like a duck, it’s probably a duck.