Separate subs for music and HT/surround

My stereo setup is comprised of Ayre 5/20 series digital hub, preamp and amp that drive KEF Ref 1s through a passive Marchand high-pass filter. For HT and surround, LR side and rear surround from an SP3 go to NAD Class D amps that drive LS50s. The SP3 receives HDMI from an Ayre DX-5 DSD, and its front LR output goes to a balanced by-pass input of the KX-5/20. I have two Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers that provide acoustic room correction, two HGS-10 subs, and two HGS-15 subs.

Question: Should I use one SMS-1 with the two HGS-10s for stereo and the other SMS-1 with the two HGS-15s for HT and surround music? I realize there are advocates for using 4 subs, and I could daisy-chain the SMS-1s, but separating the SMS-1s seems a neat way to keep stereo separate from HT.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Hello DB,

For best results, I seriously suggest you ignore Velodyne's recommendation of placing one HSG-15 near each main speaker and instead just position them where they sound best using the crawl method.  They're probably catering to users who don't understand stereo deep bass is a myth with almost all music source material below about 80 Hz actually recorded as summed L+ R mono bass.  It's best, therefore, to just run all subs in mono and position each where they'll sound best sequentially which will also be the same positions the four will sound best playing in unison as a whole DBA system. 
     To prevent moving the 2 HSG-15 heavy subs more than once, you could place one of the 10s at your listening seat, use the crawl method to determine the optimum position of the first two subs likely along your front wall and place the two HSG-15s at both of those positions instead of the HSG-10s. Then use the crawl method to optimally locate the remaining 2 HSG-10s as normal, which could be anywhere along the side walls or long the rear wall.   This will result in the optimum bass response in your room for both 2-ch music and HT.
     You can properly set up the master and slaves in the proper order  and equalize them after the optimum positions are established.

Tim
I just recently realized for music (in stereo) i have to dial back my subs to -12db, for movies i go back to -4.5b where Audyssey put it. I leave Audyssey engaged and DynamicEq on also, for my low level music its works
the two surround modes (Denon X4300), dts and Dolby both stink for surround music, I miss Prologic II.......
my subs are on either side walls 1/3rd into the room from the front screen wall, my LP is 1/4 into the room from the back wall, no EQ needed, it was all about the level. 
I have a rolling 600lb door that seals off the room for late nite watching, but I prefer the door open for music.........

kgveteran
"
I just recently realized for music (in stereo) i have to dial back my subs to -12db"

It sounds like you're Music Reproduction System is improperly aligned, tuned, or installed for this to be the universal result with you're setup.
@Clearthink i could probably place the level inbetween...... gonna give that a try, hmmmm -8db and call it quits