DAC plus Preamp or DAC-Preamp or DAC-Volume Control ?

I recently purchased a 2A3 amplifier. Preamplifier and Speakers have not been chosen.

This will be a ’learning / experiential’ system. My intentions and goals are that this ’JOURNEY’ to a new system be radically different than how I went about putting my current ’primary’ system together.

I will be leaving my front end (computer audio) system the same.

The ’secondary’ system will bifurcate post DAC at the preamp OR with a new DAC/Preamplifier combo component.

The purpose of this thread is to ask for your recommendations and suggestions for:

- Preamplifiers

OR

- DAC + Full Preamplifier // DAC + Volume Control Combo Components

to pair with Scott Sheaffer’s Found Music 2A3 monoblock amplifier. Scott advises that this amp is unfussy with respect to preamp pairings, solid state or tube, or digital volume controls.

Current system (general components): Small Green Computer Server > Sonore Signature Rendu SE > Denafrips Terminator DAC > T+A PA 3100 HV Integrated Amplifier > Tekton Design Double Impact SE Speakers.

Any additional thoughts and advice related to the topic are welcome.

Thank You!
david_ten
Very interesting conversation. I would like to ask for help, since I know what I'm looking for.

I want a full active preamp with integrated DAC. The full preamp should obviously be active and the DAC should be of very high quality. I have seen that the Mola Mola Makua fits my description, but am having difficulty to find the other options. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
@reverendo The Mola Mola Makua is an excellent option and maybe a real superstar. I have been participating on a thread on Computer Audiophile about the Makua for maybe 3 years now. We were all waiting for the Makua DAC module and/or the Tambaqui standalone DAC to finally arrive.

In that thread another option was also discussed to maybe rival the Makua. That involved the Benchmark LA4 preamp + another standalone DAC such as the Tambaqui or some other great DAC.

The reason the LA4 was brought up on the Makua thread was that the design of the 2 preamps seem to have the same goal of making it as quiet as possible. I believe these 2 preamps are the quietest preamps out there (LA4 #1). The LA4 preamp has the reputation of making DACs sound their best. The LA4 is also continually sold out on the Benchmark site (a good sign).

The price of the LA4 is $2.5K and almost all reviews of it say it sounds like a $20K preamp. The Makua is around $20K with the DAC module. Though I have seen the Makua without the DAC module offered for around $7K used. The LA4 has a 30 day home trial which I will take them up on before I dip my toes into the Makua.

BTW - I noticed a Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC up for sale for about $7K yesterday. It looks like it sold in 1 day.

BTW2 -  http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/1019/Mola_Mola_Makua_Preamplifier_DAC_Phono_Kaluge_Power_Amplifier_Review.htm

david_ten OP
 plus Preamp or DAC-Preamp or DAC-Volume Control ?

Keep your Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC it's a very fine dac, one of the best I've had the pleasure to hear along with the Holo Spring R2R.

And get a Schiit Freya 3 preamps in one, which can be as a "passive" with the best mechanical volume control there is, or "active" "tube" or "solid state".
And has all the SE or XLR inputs and outputs you need and remote controled,  for just $799 "returnable!! if not happy"

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

Cheers George