Zu Omen or Tekton Lore

Best floorstanders under $999 for low power SET amp?

Thanks
mstark
I would say the comments from the comparisons these guys made fits with my memory of the Soul Superfly at RMAF compared with what I'm hearing with my Lores. I'm interested if Roscoeiii can find some Lores to compare with his Superfly's, but I would wager the result will not be very different.

I'm also a former drummer, and I can definitely relate to what the guys are saying. The nuance of cymbal strikes is great, but so is the attack and midrange detail of the other drums.

Just to let you guys know, I'm nearing a point where I'll be comfortable swapping my Hornshoppe Horns back in for a comparison. Not quite settled yet, and I have some new interconnects I want fully burned in before the comparison.
Look forward to those comparisons with the Horn Shoppes (my other pair of speakers).
Hey guys love the comparisons!!

With the bass level for the lores how do they sound with heavier music? Did you try anything like heavier rock or even metal? I listen to a lot of different music but do listen to some heavier bands as well. Some of the speakers I have tried it does sound like the speaker gets confused. I do not love huge bass like some people do so I am sure the Lores will work out.
Jacobabacon - When we had the 100 watt tube amp with the Lores we didn't play any heavy metal, but we did play complex music loud. And with my 4-watt SET amp I have as well, for example Dire Straits Sultans of Swing. Good bass, a lot of guitar, a driving beat. In both cases I thought the Lores held together very well. They sounded very solid and clean, no breaking up at all. The sound didn't change a whole lot, it just got louder which I suppose is what you'd want.
What's your amp, room, etc.?
Well, I would say I've listened to some pretty heavy rock on the Lores with quite a bit of pleasure. My first night's listening session was with a live Ween concert at concert levels, and I was FULLY rocking out on it. Some of my heaviest bass music is probably my Soul Coughing albums. They have some really intense synthesized bass going on, and especially on Ruby Vroom, it's really high quality as well (upright bass for that stuff). I would never say the Lores were "confused" on any of this material in the bass region.

Your biggest risk with heavy rock, in my experience, is that it's been recorded/mixed using "modern" techniques that quash all the dynamics. If this is the case, the Lores will sound loud but compressed, as that's exactly what the recording is offering. Sometimes that's listenable, other times not. YMMV I could see strong potential for heavy metal to be unlistenable if it was recorded/mixed badly - think modern Metallica. On the other hand, some more underground heavy metal is actually extremely very technically demanding, and I bet some of those recordings paid attention to quality. Not being a heavy metal buff, I can't suggest a good example there.

Bottom line, the Lores will completely rock if the source material and amplification is up to the challenge.