What's a really great Streamer/DAC box for just streaming Tidal?

Exploring digital after a lifetime of vinyl only systems. Have been enjoying tidal through an xDSD and headphones and now I want to step up to something good for my home system, Herron amps and pre and Harbeth 30.1s. Any suggestions? I’d spend up to $1500 used for a single box solution. Needs to be WiFi because I can't hardware ethernet.
dhcod
As the owner of a Cambridge CXN (not v2), I can attest that it sounds good and the software is crap. You can’t even flag a track or album as a favorite from it. It does support Tidal, (but does not decode MQA) but not Quboz or the upcoming Amazon service. That is why I am thinking of going with Roon and a separate DAC. The CXN does expose a ton of internet radio stations though (some with near cd quality), which can be fun for exploring new music.

I am in agreement with dtximages, except that it does matter, for the sake of having options, which formats it supports. Any streamer that isn’t garbage will deliver all of the bits from the source in the same order as the source.
I am not an audiophile, but have been a software/data professional for more than 40 years, and digital music (until it encounters a DAC) is just data. Even the timing is just data. Even the occasional error won’t usually cause a problem as long as the receiving end has a big enough buffer (and they usually do: memory is cheap), a bad data packet will just be resent. To wit: a bit is a bit is a bit is a bit. It is either a one or a zero there are not in-between values. It is not like analog which is of course, real time and allows no second chances.
Check out the Cary Audio DMS-600. It is an incredible piece that does Bluetooth, WiFi, USB and Ethernet. The sound is incredible and I think you will love it.
I have a Vault 2i and love it....  its ethernet only but works perfectly with a wireless bridge that has LAN jacks.   Dont believe Dave and Troy , they are pure audio snobs and will tell you anything to take your $$$.   

classdstreamer
23 posts
10-04-2019 4:15pm
@dtx I would like to push back as to how much streamers matter. Would you be willing to compare your Node against a Chromecast? And would you be willing willing to try to place a reclocker between your streamer and DAC, like the iFi SPDIF reclocker?

Yes I would totally be willing to try all that and see if I can hear a difference.  I have both the Node and Chromecast.  I'll have to play around to get everything just right.  

Also, im not familiar with a reclocker, what it does, why i need it etc.  If you're in the Dallas area, come on by and help me out!
@dtximages 
I have limited experience with streamers (PC, Mac, chromecast and now Bluesound Node 2. I can confirm the Node 2 using coax out sounds the best and significantly better than the Chromecast.