How important is a preamp for purely digital sources?

I’m currently deciding if I need a pre-amp in my setup.
I’ll be using a Bluesound Node 2i as the source and a McIntosh MC7100 as the power amp.

the question is ... how much sound improvement will I get by adding a pre-amp knowing that all my source material will be digital? Will it be more beneficial if I add a quality external DAC instead?

Thanks!!
dookie30

All components have a value.  It comes down to how they work together to improve the sound.  Asking a general question like this will give you multiple answers from different member experiences.  Any old preamp may not be a benefit.  A DHT preamp may add wonders to the sonic improvement but how much and what you are trying to spend also can be a factor.

I have heard systems both ways and I prefer using a good preamp.  The sonic improvement to me was substantial in adding to the depth of the soundstage, clarity, musicality, micro to macro dynamics and back again, layering of instruments and vocals, and the piano and horns sounded "real" adding to the overall pleasant experience.  The direct way was not bad to say but the improvement in these and other areas was what I preferred.

Happy Listening.

i just started using the ifi itube as a preamp for my digital audio.it's minimalistic and cheap  for a tube preamp. you must use an external dac as well if you want proper sound quality(also try to store music on ssd drives,get the highest quality music files ,use a usb 3 port and a proper usb cable).a digital source needs a smooth sounding preamp to reduce glare and harshness  .an external dac will let you have more information and also affect the sound in a good way.
I have an MSB Analog DAC with a "stepped attenuation" volume control and power base, coupled with a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premier HP.  I think that the combo sounds great and replaced my very excellent and modified Plinius pre.  Seems to me that logically and unscientifically, adding a preamp to mix just adds more "stuff" to the signal path.