Need a speaker for the blues lover...

Hey 'Goners. Currently shopping speakers and am in a quandry of sorts. My listening taste leans towards electric blues followed by classic rock (Tull, Moody Blues etc.), guitar oriented jazz then a smattering of country (Johhny Cash, Willie)or easy listening stuff. I am considering Klipsch RF-52 II, Magnepan MMG or perhaps the new ZU Omen. My budget is up to 1k, but less is ok too as is used. I know the Klipsch and MMG's are 2 different animals but I like the sound of both for different reasons. I have a studio apartment approx. 25'x30'. Amp is a McIntosh MA6200 with a Marantz universal player. Listening area is about 11' feet from the speaker plane. Ideas and thoughts most appreciated.
Beernut
128x128beernut
Hello,

One piece of advise I would have is find something you like with softdome tweeter. I might get jumped on for this but I listen to very similar music and went from Klipsch Heresy to the metal Paradigm Signature S4 tweeter and ultimately to the Proac D Two. I loved the snappiness of the Klipsch and the midrange of the Paradigm but eventually the tweeters got to me. I have had the Proacs now for a couple years and I just love them. Than being said I am in a small room and horns tend to do very well in larger rooms. I had the chance to listen to a pair of Cornwalls last week in a bigger room and loved em. If you stick with Klipsch I would consider the Heresy. It's really a heck of a speaker and a person can pick up a pair used, in mint shape for under a grand. Add a small tube amp and it might tame the horns down nicely. It sure worked on the Cornwalls.

Good Luck,
Beernut,

I strongly agree with Islandmandan's recommendation of the Tannoy System 12 DMT or System 12 DMT II or System 1200 (all very similar). Relatively compact cabinets (50 to 70 litres), the exceptional coherence of the dual concentric speaker topology, high sensitivity (93-96 dB), high power handling (200 Wrms), superb dynamics and, with used prices typically under $1K, outstanding price/performance ratio.

I own or have owned the System 12 DMT and System 12 DMT II, the System 15 DMT II, and the System 215 DMT II. They have the same family sound except as the driver and cabinet size increases, the sensitivity rises and bass extension deepens. They all perform well with both low powered tube amps and high powered solid state amps (though my personal preference is for the latter).

Horseface's recommendation of the Klipsch Heresy is also a good suggestion, although I find the Tannoys are smoother without sacrificing detail and dynamics.

I've auditioned speakers up to $30K retail, but haven't found anything to tempt me away from the System 215 DMT II, which retailed for around $9K and which I bought used for about one-third of that. And the System 215 is just a System 12 on steroids. . .

Happy listening!
Consider the used market and find a pair of Klipsch Forte's/Forte II's or Chorus/Chorus II's. Either model will provide great blues/jazz/rock listening especially with your McIntosh/Marantz combo. $300.00 to $700.00 is the norm these days used in good condition.

Bill
If you had a more powerful amp than the McIntosh and had a sub, I would go with the MMG's. I think that for Blues, planars and especially electrostatics really sound great.

However, for your associated components, I don't think the MMG's would be as good of a fit, and from your list I would choose the Klipsch (though I've never heard the Zu's).

Other considerations would be a PSB Stratus Bronze or Silver (you don't have the amp power for the Gold's) or some of the larger NHT offerings.

Michael
According to the Klipsch forums, you have a classic match for the Forte or Chorus Willland recommended. I might try for the II versions with the Tractrix mid horn. From what I understand, the Tractrix addresses the coloration caused at the mouth where the horn opens to the baffle. I have not compared the the two, but I just acquired a set of Forte IIs. It will be a few days before I can set them up, but I got them for a song(PI)and cant wait to hear them. I was actually looking for the Quartet model that is a bit smaller and uses the same horns, you should consider this less known model as well. Few speakers capture the live sound of rock or blues like these do, you don't need monster power, and they play crazy loud if needed.