Single driver point source speakers vs. the world?

Okay, I've been a 'stat guy the majority of my audio life.

Recently I acquired a humble speaker that has me rethinking my entire approach to audio, i.e., big power amp requirements driving mass amounts of current to 'stats.

The speaker I'm referring to is the Cain & Cain Abby. 8 watts of 300b SET amplification into these speakers is as good as I've heard. No, they don't do bass but they excel at everything else. So the ? for those with point source design experience is does the lack of a crossover in designs equate to these types of results in other point source or single driver designs?
128x128coltrane1
The loudspeakers is designed as a whole cabinet is chosen to get the best out of driver there is no cabinet thats thats good for all.

For any particular point source driver, can anyone comment on cabinets/enclosures?
The Tektons I have are 8" Fostex + Bullet Super tweeter in a 33" H x 12" x 11" bass reflex cabinet.
I've never come across a full range single driver speaker that didn't sound like someone put a "lid" on top of the music. One person described it as "hooded". The airiness of the music was gone. If someone could point me to a single driver speaker that does not have this quality, please let me know.