Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Holloway's recording referenced above collects several of the sonatas from that collection; Romanesca's (Andrew Manze) much-awarded set on 2 CDs records the entire book.  If forced to choose, I'd go with Holloway, but there is much to enjoy here, and really, the continuo in the two versions sounds so different that you'd be excused for thinking they were difference compositions.  Great musicianship any way you slice it.
As for Yuya Wang I really think like RV she could some day be one of the greats but I do wish they would stop sexualising these young female pianists and fiddlers as it really annoys me . You would like to think that these girls would be able to compete in the arena without resorting to that but we live now in modern times and their press agents jump on every opportunity to get them to wear the tightest things possible, it just really bugs me. Rant over !!!!
agree with you Jim
and i will take it a step further and say i resent all the distractions that are so common, including the histrionics of the performers themselves
Sv. Richter once said he preferred simple lighting, eg, a couple candles,because he did not want the audience distracted from the music by his personality
I saw Yuja Wang at Geffen Hall last winter, filling in for Pollini, who called in sick. She is an amazing technician. I have to say, she is definitely selling the outfits, the bravura showmanship, and the extra-low yoga bow at the end. I think that’s just her.

She played two encores after the Schumman - before intermission!.  Including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=latumTZOFXc

And she wore a red dress with a similarly risque back-cut.