Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** My fundamental thesis is that good jazz is no longer being "created". *****

The same can be said of 'Classical' music.  As far as I am concerned it can be said of all music.

There is no  natural law being broken here.   Nature does not demand that music maintain a certain level forever.   Think of all the people who lived when there was no means of listening to music in the home.  Be glad you lived doing a time when you could hear Ellington et al   in your home.

Rock music killed it all. The drugs, the no-talent 'rock stars', personality cults, clueless  worshipers(fans) , obscene money.

Society used to act as the guy on the GONG show.   I think Ella was 'run off' the stage at the Apollo in Harlem.    Now everyone gets a trophy, be it little league or entertainment.

Hebert von  Karajan, the long time great conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic said towards the end of his career, that we were approaching a time when "everything will be 10th rate", he was speaking of the arts and artists.   He was right.

I have 3000+ CDs, over a third of them Jazz,  and  7 CD players.  I can stay in the 60's forever.

Cheers

You are correct about the guys at Lincoln Center.   That's why they are so important.   They can play the old good stuff sometimes even better than it was in the past.   They are better schooled musicians, have better recording technology, and a master arranger.   They keep it alive.

My fantasy wish:  Some people with the right voices would go back and redo all the great R&B and Motown stuff, using all the modern advances in recording tech, better arrangements and instrumentation, better musicians.   Wouldn't that be something!

The way The Supremes and The Temptations were recorded is a crime.

Cheers
***** Rok, you didn't tell me you were rich.*****

Shhhh   we Billionaires have to keep a low profile.   Otherwise these audiophile wannabees will be trying to nick my Polk Speakers.

Btw, POLK SDA back on the market.   Start saving your little pennies.

Cheers
orpheus10You took some time where you were not participating and we were posting more recent jazz.
Here is an interview with, IMHO, one of the greatest drum players (it can be argued he was the greatest) and musician to ever play this thing we call jazz. And he was a perfectionist who expected the greatest effort, at all times, whether in the studio or live, of the members in his band.

And I quote from the interview: "The art form of jazz will continue"

"There is an elite audience out there that will appreciate what we do"

"What we do has more validity to it, and there is an audience out there who wants to see and hear better things"

"I try to keep a very high standard with my music"

"I was brought up in a world of music that I doubt very much we’ll ever see again - that kind of talent - artistry - and dedication, you wont find that today"

The above quotes were taken from the first 5 minutes of a 15 minute interview from 1987 in which he gives high praise to Lester Young, Charlie Parker, and Dizzy Gillespie.

If you have 15 minutes to spare I think it would be worth time spent. This is part 1 of a 3 part interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8PmhaWskc&t=622s