Nasty Static on Vinyl

Help, Help
I am getting static like crazy even when my amp is muted. Trying to problem solve this and could use anyone’s help.
I have been resurrecting my record collection and adding new records. Replacing all the inner sleeves with MoFi sleeves and outer sleeves as well to protect the covers. It’s very strangle that some of my records have crazy amounts of pops and clicks which is definitely static. So much so that the static comes through even when the amp is muted. Some play fine. Purchased Dire Straits Brothers in Arms MoFi and Wes Montgomery at the Blue Note, totally unplayable!
Ive tried bathing them in distilled water, cleaning them, nothing. Gonna buy a zerostat and I hope that helps. Driving me crazy that I can’t listen to my collection. Any help would be much appreciated.
128x128audiosaurusrex
Thought the 100ohms would be too low and as I said try 220 or 470.
Glad the 470 is working out for you.
Enjoy
I'm puzzled, because the gain setting of the phono stage would have zero to do with static, and I cannot think of any other electrical phenomenon that would cause the noises you heard or hear.  Unless engaging the 67db gain setting switches into the circuit an additional gain stage within your phono, and there is a component of this high gain stage that is faulty.  That situation would have nothing to do with static electric charge. But such a glitch should not get past your mute switch.  So, there is something inconsistent.
I have a feeling this is not the end of the story, but I hope I am wrong.
I did find it very odd Lewm but could only take what the OP stated for now.
I can certainly see 67db gain raising the noise floor considerably but it should not have sounded like static pops and snaps imho.

He also might want to try a few even higher settings than 470, I know some people with some carts run right up to 47k or even Herron infinity loading
Lewm, it sounded to me like he pulled one of the clips off and was trying to make the connection with a bare wire. In which case all four wires should be trimmed and new ones installed. Of course new clips will not do anything for a static problem but a loose connection can sound an awful lot like static. Like you I am a bit confused because the way the problem is being described it does not quite make sense.