What Sonically is the Difference between a $1,500 CD Player and a $10K-$25K One?

I realize opinions may vary, but if I could give an example of two CD players perhaps someone can give me their thoughts on the cost benefits of either one? What would be the difference in your opinion between say a Cambridge Audio Azur 851C CD Player and the Gryphon Scorpio S CD Player? And are the difference truly audible or more technical and rather indiscernible through human hearing?

In general, what makes a CD player (other than build components) 10x more costly than a decently built one other than features?
mrc4u
Hi,

Just another point of reference:

I replaced an Audio Space CD player that I was using as a transport only, with a PS Audio Perfect Wave Transport. Same DAC.

The CD player was about $900 new eight years ago and I bought the PWT used here on Audiogon for $1300. It was $4,000 new in what, 2015?

Incredible improvement in sound quality. Much more detail in a good way that improved the live presence.

FWIW,

Dsper
I don’t really have any mega bucket equipment, I simply can’t afford it. But like anything in life it’s in the details and this is what you’re paying for.  Generally. 

For me it’s akin to looking up at the night sky on a full moon night. An inexpensive component ( notice I didn’t say cheap ) will show you the moon in all its clarity for sure, with a sprinkling stars, it beautiful, but go to a place like Colorado and look up at that same night sky and it’s akin to looking with a high-end piece of equipment - you see the moon and it’s clarity, but NOW you can also see 10,000 more stars and the edge of the Milky Way and its awe inspiring- it’s, it’s those types of details, whether it’s timber, tone, soundstage, etc. - that makes the difference, but, and here is the key question, how many more stars do you see with that more expensive piece, and is it worth it, only you can tell. 
I went from a tube modwright Sony Es 5400 to a Mbl c31. Better soundstage, depth, detail, imaging and transparency. There is a difference if you pick the right 10k player or up! 
Question geoffkait,
Regarding your modded Sony Walkman sounding better than a stock high end player... 
What about a modded high end player?
If they’re my mods look out! 👀 Everything’s relative. A. Einstein