Audioquest Dragon Powercord vs Hurricane

I don't want to get into a debate about if powercords and/or cables sound different or not. I just want to talk about the differences between the Audioquest Dragon and Audioquest Hurricane powercords in my system, based on my ears and preferences. My system consists of a Jeff Rowland 625 S2 amplifier, Jeff Rowland Corus preamp, Chord Dave DAC, Antipodes DS GT music server, Monitor Audio PL500 ii speakers, JL Audio F112 v2,  Clarus Crimson speaker cables, Wireworld Platinum series 8 XLRs, and all Audioquest Hurricane power cords.
I have two Dragon powercords for a home audition. I put one on my DAC and the other on my preamp. My initial thought is the Dragon added a lot of detail. I usually listen with the volume set at 60, but had to reduce it to 58 with the Dragon inserted. After letting the music play for awhile, I did some critical listening for 90 minutes or so. I'm pretty certain that I will keep all Hurricanes and not purchase any Dragon powercords. It isn't because I think the Hurricane is better. I submit they are different and I always say cables are system dependent. In my system the Hurricane is a more balanced cable, where the Dragon is forward to my ears and it's a cable that really highlights details in a way that I don't like. E.g. when I listened to a blues track by KEB MO, with the Dragons the guitar was very forward and dominate, his voice was out of balance and the bass wasn't as full. Returning to the Hurricanes provided excellent balance with detail and fuller bass. Things may change over the next couple of days, but I don't usually change from my initial thoughts. There are no absolutes in audio and careful component matching is more important than how much a component cost.  
ricred1
larry5729,
Your picture makes you look like a pretty intelligent guy, therefore don't say you "do not like green eggs and ham" until you try them.

I'm a pretty sceptical guy who has tried various powercords. The Shunyata Alpha series cable I used made a noticeable upgrade over another aftermarket powercord I bought.

Then came the Audioquest Hurricanes... Took my system to another level to the point that it pissed me off. Why? Because I have great equipment (reference equipment used by many magazine reviewers) and a powercord shouldn't have made that much of a diference.

But it did.
ozzy,

Yes, the Dragon is expensive. That's why I wanted to try it in my system prior to purchase. I think it's an outstanding power cord, but I prefer the Hurricane in my system.
Duke Ellington famously said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

To paraphrase, if you hear a difference between power cables, there is a difference. And if you prefer one over the other, the one you prefer is the better one.

(I live by these simple rules...)
Desktopguy, that’s the best and most rational comment I’ve seen on an Audiogon forum.  Thanks.
People get ear blind  to their over all sound. It ends up reflecting off surfaces of their room and only so much you can do to convert a closed in carport into critical listening area. After spending more money than the wife knows about, you want your pet to purr beautifully as though it was a 67 mustang in that carport. You might add  chrome carb linkages msd  ignition , holley 650 etc. You havent made any performance improvements but at least you dont mind to lift the hood in front of other car guys .
 Its mostly fluff around meat and potatoes of audio.