Magnepans or...Martin Logan

Dear All, ....sorry very interested but only newby.

Could I have insights on which to choose - up to USD 2.500 - and the reasons. Used or new. Brand and models.

Live in Santiago, Chile so very high addtional shipping and insurance costs - at least double.  Furthermore no possibility of local testing - no models available -...so I must get it right blindly first time. 

Type of music I listen to: Folk, Jazz, Movies, New Age.

Much appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards !
Robert
rpeebles
Having owned several to get to what my current speakers(ML), Magnepans are great for jazz and folk, but no bass, you will need a sub. A used pair will ship cheaper than Thiel(great) and Martin Logan( awesome).  Used will also get you a great speaker at a better price.
As a current owner of the Maggie 1.7 and having owned many other speakers, both box and other ribbons and stats and most costing considerably more than the 1.7s, I can say, I am quite impressed and satisfied with the little Maggies. They do require a bit of power to drive but, unless you are trying to fill a large room with 90+ db, a decent 100 W high current amp (capable of delivering more power into a 4 ohm load such as the Maggies) would do a nice job. In my slightly large (14’w x 24’d x 10’h) room, I have no problem driving them to moderate levels (listening mostly to light pop, jazz, folk and acoustic) with a 100W per side Rogue, integrated tube amp and it does a beautiful job.
Regarding set up and placement with the Maggies, I agree, but with a bit of patience and work, the rewards are astounding. In my set up, wether in the sweet spot or not, the image and stage stays right where it belongs - no head in a vice demands, what so ever, in my audio room.
My point is, for the type of music you are interested in, there are few speakers, at your price point, that can make as nice of music with as large and detailed stage as the little Maggies.
If power is a problem - I agree the next best option, to get a comparable sound, would be a very efficient open baffle speaker such as the Spatial Audio’s Hologram M3 or M4 or Emerald Physics.......Jim

These new LRS are barely broken in and sounding better day by day.  They do like tubes although I use the tube preamp with SS monoblocks and the two REL T5s.  This Nak ZX-9 shows me just how good not only the deck is but how good the LRS are capable of sounding.  The placement issue is over done along with the "sweet spot" notion and further all this room dampening nonsense IMHO.  I listen to them 20 ft away and looking at them on edge as they reflect the whole way down the room that is 10x50x8 ft ceilings.  There are other placement possibilities in this room.  The sweet spot is nice but the point is the dipole is a plus not some kind of disadvantage as to placement as you point out.
Dear Amigos !

Thank you for taking the time to give such excellent opinions. Certainly valued !

Muchas Gracias !!
Robert
Dear Amigos !

Once again thank you for all your Help ! Very valuable !

I finally did get the Magnepan´s 1.7. With the kind help from Peru´s Magnepan Distributor I had them built at the Magnepan Factory and shipped directly to Santiago, CHILE.

They are sitting in my music room !!

Now I need to put them into working status...very eager !

Could you please help me with some Amp alternatives ? to drive them .

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Robert