Mono Reissues and the Conical Stylus

Hi Folks,

Recently I started buying mono reissues from Speakers Corner, Impex, and have recently ordered a few from Analogphonic. They're all of the 'long haired' variety. In the process, I've come to discovery threads where posters claim that the newer mono reissue grooves are cut in a V (stereo) shape rather than the vintage U (mono) shape.
My AT 33 mono cartridge comes with a conical stylus and from what I can tell, so do the better mono cartridges, i.e. the Miyajima Zero Mono. This of course would then create an issue where it pertains to using a conical stylus in a V shaped groove.

Around November, I plan to purchase a Jelco tonearm for my modified Thorens TD 160 and after that, will be looking to upgrade to a higher end mono cartridge. However, I don't see that they're would be a viable solution to the stylus dilemma given that I will only have one tonearm. I do by the way own a collection of early mono records but would like to find a cartridge that better crosses over between my vintage pressings and my reissues. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
goofyfoot
I bought a mono cartridge about a year ago and still haven't mounted it, because I am so pleased with the results using just the mono mode switch on either of my two preamplifiers.  This also tells me that an internally bridged stereo cartridge might be just fine.  For hairsplitters and purists, I suppose one must have a bona fide true mono cartridge.  One guy even claimed you need BOTH a true mono cartridge AND a mono mode switch for best results.
I bought a Shelter 501 mk2 mono. Does anyone know how it produces a mono signal?  I presume it might well be an internally bridged version of their stereo equivalent.  I'm not losing sleep.
lewm,

I have neither a mono switch on my ASR amp nor my entry ASR phono stage, so that's out of the question. It was suggested in my earlier post on this sight (Which mono cartridge under $1,200.00) that I look for a true mono cartridge. I went from a strapped mid level Grado to the AT 33 mono and I prefer the AT.
gf, my point in mentioning Carr and Lyra was to suggest even designers/manufacturers don't agree on this subject.

Since I'm not an engineer I must rely on simple logic.  And to me it is logical that stereo cutter heads being a different size and shape than the earlier mono cutter heads will require a different playback profile.  That's why I don't see a single answer for your question.

Anyway, good luck.  I've certainly seen positive reports on the AT 33 mono cartridge.
90%o of mono cartridges currently sold as NEW, are in fact stereo cartridges adjusted or modified to produce a mono signal.  One of 2 methods is used: 1) standard internal construction, with coils in an "X" pattern, with L/R internally combined to create a mono signal. 2) modified internal construction with coils in a "+" pattern to minimize impact of vertical modulation, and then internally wired to produce a mono signal.   Note that in both cases, the cartridge responds to vertical signal.   The fact that vertical signal is present and then suppressed, canceled etc does not remove the content.  Presence of vertical signal introduces phase anomalies that are audible to some people (not all).   OTOH, a true mono cartridge has a single coil / one coil to respond to horizontal movement ONLY.  It may or may not have vertical compliance (many don't, some do), but signal only comes from horizontal movement.   There are very few true mono cartridges available.  Denon 102, Ortofon CG25DI MKIII, and a few other high end Japanese designs (Miyajima, Koetsu ?).

Stylus size and profile are functions of what you will play.  

Mono microgroove LPs, pressed from 1947 until about 1958-60 have a " U " shaped groove, best traced by a conical stylus, and are best played with a 1mil stylus profile.  Mono LPs pressed from about 1960- the end of vinyl production in about 1969 have a " V " shaped groove, and are best played with a 0.7 mil stylus profile.  MODERN MONO REISSUES (to the question of the original post) are pressed with a modern " V " STEREO groove, but a mono signal (IE equal in both vertical and horizontal movement), and are best played with a MODERN stylus profile.

There is some merit to playing a pre 1960 pressing with a smaller, more modern stylus profile.  A typical TT of the pre 1960 era was a blunt instrument, tracking at 10g or more...even the popular GE VR series needed at least 5-6g to track effectively.  High stylus pressure, crude arm geometry, indifferent handing led to excessive wear at the point where a 1mil conical groove made contact.  A modern 0.7 mil or smaller stylus may contact a portion of the groove exhibiting less wear and sound better overall.   

Since the original question concerned playback of modern reissues of "Long Hair" music, I would probably lean towards a modern "mono" cartridge with a modern stylus profile.   Should the author acquire some/more original mono pressings, then purchasing a true mono cartridge may be justified.

Disclaimer:   I went down this rabbit hole and now use a separate TT (Technics SP-15 and AT 1503 MKIII arm) with an Ortofon CG25DI MKIII mono cartridge, tracking at 3g and using a 1mil conical stylus.   Sounds GREAT; both better and different than a stereo cartridge playing a mono LP.   Not for everyone, but works for me.
..just on the practicality on this issue...I have a number of mono records that sound absolutely fine with my Ortofon stereo cartridge.   A few of them sound better than stereos