Mono Reissues and the Conical Stylus

Hi Folks,

Recently I started buying mono reissues from Speakers Corner, Impex, and have recently ordered a few from Analogphonic. They're all of the 'long haired' variety. In the process, I've come to discovery threads where posters claim that the newer mono reissue grooves are cut in a V (stereo) shape rather than the vintage U (mono) shape.
My AT 33 mono cartridge comes with a conical stylus and from what I can tell, so do the better mono cartridges, i.e. the Miyajima Zero Mono. This of course would then create an issue where it pertains to using a conical stylus in a V shaped groove.

Around November, I plan to purchase a Jelco tonearm for my modified Thorens TD 160 and after that, will be looking to upgrade to a higher end mono cartridge. However, I don't see that they're would be a viable solution to the stylus dilemma given that I will only have one tonearm. I do by the way own a collection of early mono records but would like to find a cartridge that better crosses over between my vintage pressings and my reissues. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
goofyfoot
A conical stylus theoretically can’t be used as long as Shibata and definitely can’t be used as long as LineContact or Micro Ridge.

If you expecting 850-1000 hrs from a well polished nude conical Denon tip then how many hrs do you expect from Shibata or MicroRidge ? The conical/spherical tip is the worst, cheapers and has the shortest life span, you can use Shibata for 600 hrs (or MicroRidge and Gyger for about 2000 hrs), but the nude Conical degrade pretty fast, the reason is the high tracking force (3-4 grams) and very small dots (groove contact area).

The contact area is small and with high tracking force associated with low compliance cartridges it wears out quickly. This is the basics. You can read here.

links:
https://www.ortofon.com/media/14912/everything_you_need_to_know_about_styli_types.pdf

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=5267.0

" You should expect at least 300h of good sound. After that it won’t sound as good as new. If it’s not sounding as good as new, it’s time for the replacement. For more technical info, search the Vinylengine forum; we have discussed this topic many many times. "

Ummm... Despite all your declarative sentences, the grooves in a vintage mono LP are shaped differently from those of a stereo LP. This changes how a stylus will wear out. Conical is well suited to mono.
The topic is MONO REISSUES btw, so we expect stereo cutter head. Anyway stereo and mono grooves are different, but it does not change the fact that Conical/Spherical stylus has the shortest life span even compared to Elliptical, no matter on which records, it's just an oldchool stylus shape. In terms of life span we have Conical/Spherical, Elliptical, Hyper elliptical, Shibata, Microline, MicroRidge, Gyger, Replicant 100, VdH ... etc. No matter how many profiles we can mention the Conical will be the first (simplest) to retip as it wears out quicker than any other profiles.  
Actually chakster, you're reiterating the dilemma. The post is about finding a stylus that works optimally with both 1940's /50's mono and mono reissues. The fact that a conical stylus is suited for early mono records is something that, I believe, we've gotten past. The discussion is about a stylus and cartridge that works for both old and new.
lewm, it would be unfortunate for you to be right concerning the Ortofon Cadenza mono, as this cartridge is at a good price point for what it claims to do. I've always been of the understanding that a true mono build is superior over a strapped stereo cartridge.