My Thoughts re: Dealers Posting on Audiogon

I originally posted this in a thread in the Speakers forum.  It's more appropriate here:

As a former audio dealer and long time Audiogon member who has walked the tightrope I will say that, while I do not have a problem with dealers posting on Audiogon, I do feel that there are some basic rules that should be observed, both by the dealer and by everyone else:

For dealers:
1- Clearly announce that you are a dealer
2- Try to be helpful, objective and educational
3- Understand that an Audiogon forum IS NOT a sales venue
4- If you mention or recommend on of your products, mention again that you are a dealer for this product so that it's clearly understood that you have a finalcial interest in your recommendation
5- Don't trash the competition or other brands

For Audiogon members:
6- Don't complain about dealers posting in Audiogon forums. They are A'gon members like anyone else. If you don't want to read dealer posts them just don't read them
7- Just because a dealer makes a recommendation in which he/she has a financial interest does not automatically make it a bad recommendation. If the dealer comment is in the spirit of the discussion and or answers a question then it's probably appropriate, IMO
8- Dealers, well *many* dealers, have a lot of experience that most just audiophiles do not have. If a dealer is posting to be helpful to the group and not just trying to sell stuff then take advantage of that experience. Their answers to your questions will guide you as to whether they are interested in being helpful members of the Audiogon community or just pushing gear.

I hope that this is helpful guidance. Just my opinions...
br3098
It is not difficult to spot dealers who are arrogant, condescending and want to push their products. They state their wisdom? and experience as so much more valuable than whatever information anyone else is adding to a thread. The funny thing for me, when a few of these arrogant dealers (not all and I think some are very informative and cool) post, I take note to NOT BUY ANYTHING from them, even if it is a product they sell that is a good product. I would find another dealer selling that good product.  I just don’t like bullying and conceit. I don’t understand why other audiophiles like to be TOLD what sounds good and why moderators let these dealers derail a thread?
br3098
... who gets to decide what is good advise and what’s not? I say that each one of us does ...
Exactly! And that’s just the way things are supposed to work in the real world. I read a variety of news sources from around the world and with a variety of political leanings. That all gets factored in to how I interpret what they publish. None of the sources are perfect and I don’t accept anything they report strictly at face value. But neither would I try to silence any of them.

It’s the same here. After a while, it’s obvious that some contributors to this site simply do not know what they are talking about, or are trying to further some agenda or belief system, or are simply confused and looking for argument. The worst offenders here aren’t even the dealers, imo.
If a product is not promoted vigorously something terrible happens. Nothing. - PT Barnum

😛

“There’s a fine line between shilling and enthusiasm.” - Old audio axiom 
@br3098  my questions since you were a dealer at one time are:

1 were you an honest dealer or only pushed your products
2  why did you decide to carry one brand over another were you trying to offer the best products you heard or something else
3 do you value any dealers opinions

I repair and manufacturer audio components.  I believe that I am an honest person.  All of the the product I manufacturer would not be in the price ranges of most of the audiogon members so I hope I can give honest advice.  I have offered a few times to build a preamp or an amp for a few people looking in a specific price range with a in home trial period.  No one has taken me up on my offer so I don't do that any longer.  In repairing components I get to see the build quality, why they failed, how upgrades sound and get to compare them to many units that I have in for repair plus what I build.  I hate it when I see comments like "built like a tank".  To me a company using a circuit board is not built like a tank.  Or when I look inside to see average audio grade parts on products that sell for $5k and more.  So I hope and can offer sound advice.  I stay away from commenting on what I don't know also.

I would like Audiogon to have a notification on my user name where it would indicate manufacturer and for dealers, dealer.

I agree with you post and hopefully some people get the message that we are all hear to help one another and to provide good sound advice without prejudice.

Happy Listening and thanks for your post.

I think the best policy would was suggested by the original poster
For dealers:
1- Clearly announce that you are a dealer

Obviously people do buy equipment based on advise given at Audiogon. I do go to trusted brick and mortar stores for information and purchases. However, I know they are a dealer and are employed to sale their products primarily, which is fine because I can check out other products elsewhere. Some dealers are very honest and helpful here, others are not. I would think trustworthy dealers would be fine with a disclosure policy.