Horn Speaker Recommendations

I am looking for your feedback on what Horn speakers I should consider in the $15k-$40k price range.  Please describe the rationale for your recommendations.  
willgolf
OP should realize that he is definitely going to have to settle for a hybrid horn speaker in his price range. A full range horn by the very nature of its size and price is not likely doable for him. Also, some of the brands thrown around in this thread like Cessaro are going to be non starters as well due to price.

My advice would be that if you're going the horn/hybrid route, get as much of the sound as you can get out of the horn part of the speaker. In other words, look for something with a low xover point where the "hybrid" turns over to the horn. Many of the models recommended in this thread and virtually all of the two ways will have xover points so high that most if not all of the bass and midrange delivery will be coming from the "hybrid" box part. My two way JBL 200s of yore were that way. The 15" driver didn't hand over to the horn loaded tweeter til right at 1000 hz. The 15 incher was handling all of the bass and midrange duties.

Enter the Avantgarde Duo. As a three way with active bass and a default setting of 160 hz (user adjustable) from subs to midrange I now have over two more octaves of horn delivered output as compared to the JBLs and many of the other models suggested in this thread. The difference in the unfettered expansiveness and palpability of sound as produced from the bells of horns rather than the typical box is immediately obvious to anyone, So, to sum it up, horns, yes, by ALL means but preferably speakers where the horn(s) is playing the lead and not second fiddle to "the box".
@acresverde --

OP should realize that he is definitely going to have to settle for a hybrid horn speaker in his price range. A full range horn by the very nature of its size and price is not likely doable for him. Also, some of the brands thrown around in this thread like Cessaro are going to be non starters as well due to price.

Size may be a problem, but with a price range up to $40,000 a truly capable all-horn setup is absolutely within reach. Remember, all-horn items from Cessaro and the likes are steeply priced, and oftentimes all-horn speakers represent a manufacturer’s statement products, for no other reason really than keeping them out of hand from any but the most well-paid. There are all-horn main speakers like Volti Audio’s Vittora’s (around ~$20k sans Gregs DR subs) or Simon Mears Audio Uccello’s (£10,500 direct sale from Simon, but being a busy man at present sadly doesn’t take orders), and couple either of those with the likes of a pair of Danley Sound Labs tapped horn TH-50 (unaware of their price, but with named main speakers would come in under $40k), or the front loaded horns like JTR Orbit Shifter LFU (independently tested here: https://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=123):

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/subwoofers/tapped-horns/th50/

http://www.jtrspeakers.com/orbit-shifter-lfu.html

These are all pre-build solutions (though you would need amp + digital XO for the TH-50, but they would still fall within the price ceiling), but don’t mistake the horn subs mentioned for being blow-your-roof-off capable only; they offer excellent bass quality all around, and will provide effortless performance for any purpose and at SPL's few would be able to endure (not meant as a quality in itself, but that it grants you effortless presentation at any SPL). In combination with all-horn speakers like the ones mentioned you’d be in for something sonically quite special.

Then there’re DIY horn sub solutions that I mentioned earlier in this thread, and couple those with DIY all-horn main speakers from John Inlow and you’d come in under $10k for the whole shebang.
@phussis
So glad you mentioned John Inlow
http://www.inlowsound.com/

The only way I would be able to afford a full range horn system would be the DIY option, one day I hope to visit Mr Inlows shop and for a some insite into the process, and purchase some of his plans.  He also builds them for sale for those who can afford it.

@Willgolf, good luck on your journey, excited to see what you end up with!
It is interesting that John Inlow appreciates 1 inch drivers as well as 2 inch drivers ( determining horn throat size, of course ), feeling both are superior for different kinds of music, and playback levels. 
@facten --

(" once owned the smaller sibling model, the Mummy ")
Can you provide some insights about the Mummy’s sound ,etc and what you drove them with?

Sorry for the late reply. I drove the Mummy’s with my current gear, a Belles SA-30 class-A poweramp and SOtM sDP-1000 DAC/preamp (and a PC-based source with an Audiophilleo 2 + PurePower USB-S/PDIF converter + JRiver MC25 DLNA and NAS drive), and before that also a NuForce poweramp and DAC.

The Mummy’s were rather coherent sounding and versatile speakers. I really liked the OSWG waveguide fitted with the BMS 4524 compression driver and what it did from some 1,6-1,8kHz on up (an impressive feat by the 12" Beyma 12BR70 to go this high in the decent manner it did). Apart from slight material resonance/signature some of the least horn-sounding variants I’ve heard, with a rather "mild" imprinting. In its specific MkIII implementation a bit tipped-up in the top end, slightly recessed central mids, and a relatively dynamic midbass though fattening up a bit towards the port tune. Nice, sphere-like soundstage. I preferred blocking one of the two ports in each speaker.