Fans on amps.

Ive been checking out some posts about fans by amps but cannot find anything about them being good or bad for the amps. This is what I would like to know. Ok. I have a Krell Fpb 600 and I listen to my music about a 28-30 volume on my ARC Ref 6 which is pretty loud most of the time depending on recordings. Tonight I felt my amp like a lot of times and felt very hot like u could fry an egg on top. This is the normal with a few hrs of listening. Anyway I put a fan on the right side of amp and about a half hour later I checked the right side and was significantly cooler I mean like a night and day difference between the right and left top and heat sinks. I was wondering if adding 2 fans one on each side to cool the amp down would do more harm than good. Would I get more life out of the amp with fans ? Or are amps designed like that without using fans and just heat sinks to get rid of the heat. Btw my amp has plenty of ventilation as it is on the floor. Thanks. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
AC Infinity makes thermostatic controlled fan units. They had a side mount and a top mount at the time I purchased mine. You could also add additional fans to the unit. I used one to cool a Krell FPB 300. I had the thermostat set at 90 degrees. I used to monitor the temperature with a laser thermometer. Without the fan unit the amp would easily get over 160 degrees. You could smell things cooking inside the amp. The fan does make a little noise but is about as quiet as fans can be. It can be programmed to do what you want it to do. I bought mine at Audio Advisor. Hope this is helpful.
                               Frank
  1. fans should pull air AWAY from the amp
  2. use inherently low noise fans with sub 30db ratings
  3. use 12v DC fans on a variable AC/DC adapter
  4. adjust the DC level so the fans run slightly above the stall point

Each installation requires its own design.

On a tube amp with cage, fans mounted atop the cage will keep the whole amp comfortable. For a PrimaLuna with 4 power tubes in line, two fans. http://ielogical.com/assets/Audio/PrimaLunaAmpFans.jpg These fans have been running for about 3 years and have zero dust build up.

For a SS amp with external heatsinks either use a rack and mount fans to pull heat away from the amp or fabricate a stand to draw air away from the amp.

!!! NEVER BLOW AIR ON/INTO AN AMPLIFIER !!!

Keeping the amps at more constant operating temperature makes them sonically more consistent and prolongs their life. HEAT KILLS

I’ve been doing this for more than 40 years.

Power supply example: https://www.amazon.com/AUTOTOOLHOME-Adapter-Adjustable-Supply-Controller/dp/B01M3NL3NV
I see anotherbob already mentioned the AC Infinity fan unit. Must've been still asleep earlier this morning. I checked the Audio Advisor site and they are still selling them. T9 is the top mount version.
AC Infinity fan unit
One purchaser mentioned it is quite audible at anything above a 1.

This device will pull air through the amp and likely build up dust in the bottom vents.

What is desired is to pull a small amount of air around and away from the amp. The airflow should be incapable of moving dust or holding a piece of cellophane against a vent.

Avoid any unit that cycles and does not provide CONSTANT air flow. Inconsistent airflow over grilles can be distracting.

Size fans for the device so they can run at minimum speed.