Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Interesting piece by John Helmer on popularity of classical music in Russia, on radio and online.  Helmer is longest serving english speaking correspondentin Russia, originally from Australia, but also lived in USA.  He usually writes about politics and economic/business.
http://johnhelmer.net/radio-orfei-can-still-pull-the-state-budget-strings-but-can-it-stream-to-save-...
Just as the novel went all the way to Finnegans Wake and then came back to chronologically organized coherent narrative, so I think we're well back from the atonal period.  Look at the popularity of Arvo Part or Goreki.  My own favorite from the youngest generation is Dobrinka Tabakova.  Check out her album String Paths on ECM.
We’ve come back but the damage was done. And the music of today isn’t built on the epitome and peak of orchestra with early 20th century romantic music. The music of Arvo Part is no more approachable than the trash being spewed by John Cage or the even worse, Philip Glass. Even more respected composers like Higdon aren’t going to gain much long term traction. I suspect the symphony format died with Shostakovich. The future of the symphony is movie music (which of course Hans Zimmer has tried his best to destroy, but there are still some wonderful composers in that space).
Long ago I loved symphony orchestras, heard Philadelphia under Ormany, BSO under Leinsdorf, etc.  But I seldom listen to orchestras today, not even recordings.  It is just too much for me.Maybe it is my age, maybe that I have not lived in a city for many years, so my life is quieter.  I much prefer sonatas, solos, occasionally a duet, trio or quartet.  More musicians do not increase my enjoyment/appreciation.  And "modern" music does not reach me.

As for rock n roll, I still love it, but not often.  New Years Eve comes but once a year.
I still listen to some folk/pop, live is very good. Recordings are mostly to learn new songs to play. 

I do love Hawaiian slack key, but have stopped trying to play it since my teacher died.

If I could actually play classical music, that would be my preference.