Why According to some Turntable extremists Pitch Control and Direct Drive is Sacrilege?

Why shouldnt perfect direct drive speed and pitch control be part of an Audiophile turntable system.  Not having pitch control is like missing a stereo mono switch.
Every high end turntable should have pitch control. 
vinny55
This almost as ludicrous a question as why does Donald Trump style his hair like he does
Thank you very much Lewm.
Very useful and informative.
I am certainly intrigued by the Lenco especially after you had basically the same combo as I presently have , Nottingham Spacedeck and Walker controller and think the Lenco came out better.
Would be interesting to see how a stock but good condition Lenco would fare in same comparison.
From what I can gather the stock Lenco arm is pretty heavy so will have to read up on suitable carts as well.
Uber, the website “Lenco Heaven” will tell you everything you could want to know about the L75, and more. There are a few inexpensive vintage tonearms that are drop-in replacements for the original. And then you’ve got something really good. You can also read about the crazy things that others have done, with the L75 as a basis. Apologies to everyone else for stealing this thread for a moment. I will cease to spout off on Lenco.
Thx Lewm

And yes my apologies for driving the Lenco posts.
All satisfied for now and off too Lenco Heaven I shall go!
Generalization and over zealous ownership biases. ....
Two of the absolute worst criteria to choose most audio, but especially turntables , and the arms and cartridges needed to complete the job.
Many think direct drive is the " only " choice for best of in a field with exceptional belt and idler drives when executed properly are preferred by many. If a direct drive sounds brittle to one persons ears and pleasing to another......it’s why we have choices for our own tastes, and not just for the zealots of one drive choice. They ALL, have strengths and inherent weekness’s and all are not equal in their own camps or against each other.
Direct drive and the claim of perfect pitch with all the faults some hear and others are bias blind to ignore , is just a preference. Like belt drives some more accurate than some realize and others that are not as accurate but have executed all other perameters to remove self noise. The .025 wow and flutter of a good direct drive , on the surface is impressive but it’s just one thing of many that harms playback. A good belt drive with .05 wow and flutter , as much as some direct drive and idler zealots scream, will be unoticed by most as a problem at all.
Thats about 16 thousands of an rpm off or .6 seconds off after an entire side. Some claim to hear it....I think they are full of it.
Belts can suffer the same with a power supply constantly adjusting apposed to minor corrections . Their is no one drive choice is better in my view. They all have brands/models that excell, and that suck ,both in performance and value (price).
Turntables and phono preamplifiers I think an open mind is better than a personal biased closed in narrow view of what OTHERS should like. We all hear differently and focus on different points of music, genres, frequency extremes etc...
What’s wrong with choice let alone mine over yours.....