Sub wiring help, high level speaker terminal to RCA line level Sub inputs

I just received a new Rhythmic L12 sub, and surprisingly did not realize it only has RCA line level inputs. I had purchased it thinking it also had high level speaker inputs to connect it directly to the speaker posts on my power amp.

I have a Cambridge CXNv2 connected to a Schiit Aegir Power Amp through the line level RCA. Now, the CXN does have an additional balanced XLR out, but I can only connect the Schiit Aegir through RCA.

So these are my options and questions:
1. Connect the Power Amp to the Sub using a custom cable with speaker terminals on one end and RCA on the other end.
2. CXN XLR --> Power Amp RCA, and CXN RCA --> Sub RCA
3. CXN RCA --> Power Amp RCA, and CXN XLR --> Sub RCA
4. Return the Rhythmic and get an SVS SB1000 with high level speaker inputs.

In this case I’m not sure what the positives and negatives are about trying to connect the Sub via speaker terminals or RCA line level on the CXN. Or is it even advisable to use a cable that goes from the speaker terminals to the RCA line level inputs of the Sub?

Appreciate any help!
rhern213
Wanted to post a follow up. I've spoken to all 3 companies in the mix, Rythmic, Cambridge Audio, and Schiit, they all said to use the RCA line out with a Y splitter.

This is what you call CYA. Both methods are at best the same. Both methods run the risk of introducing a bit of distortion. Think about it. But the distortion of the LOC affects only the bit going to the sub, and is simply never going to be heard. (Done it, so experience here not opinion.) With the Y however then whatever distortion it makes goes right into the amp and comes right out the most high resolution high hearing sensitivity part of the system. Not taking sides just let's be clear. Its so true, already you are asking what is the best part to use. Whereas with the LOC it just doesn't even matter.

Where the CYA comes in is even though its definitely not the best way to go SQ-wise, it is definitely the lowest risk of customer screwup. Which people think businesses mostly try and make good stuff. When really the hardest part of all is making stuff their customers can't screw up.
@millercarbon I see what you mean. One thing is why would any possible distortion be present through the pre-outs but not through the speaker outs? I don’t think the power amp is doing anything to make the signal out of the pre-amp cleaner. I figure it’s just amplifying, which whether done through the RCA outs, or eventually through the power amp and speaker terminals, it’ll still be there. Unless the argument is based on the the Y-adapter itself causing the distortion, not the pre-out signal.

One other thing that I was thinking about is the effect on the audio signal after being amplified multiple times over if using the Speaker level outputs. So the pre-amp is slightly amplifying the signal, which is then fed to a power amp that is again amplifying the signal even more, which then in this case would be sent to a 3rd amplifier which would be amplifying a signal that had to be lowered by resistors in between, before finally reaching the Subwoofer itself.

Just in a logical sense to me going though that cycle seems like it has the potential to introduce more distortion to the sound than going one straight shot to the power amp.
One other thing that I was thinking about is the effect on the audio signal after being amplified multiple times over if using the Speaker level outputs. So the pre-amp is slightly amplifying the signal, which is then fed to a power amp that is again amplifying the signal even more, which then in this case would be sent to a 3rd amplifier which would be amplifying a signal that had to be lowered by resistors in between, before finally reaching the Subwoofer itself.

Just in a logical sense to me going though that cycle seems like it has the potential to introduce more distortion to the sound than going one straight shot to the power amp.

Both approaches are capable of providing excellent results in many systems, and both approaches have their potential pitfalls. Some of my previous posts in this thread have described pitfalls that can occur in each of those cases.

As I’ve mentioned earlier potential pitfalls of the preamp-to-sub approach include the fact that the signals that are reproduced by the main power amp and the main speakers can under some and probably many circumstances be adversely affected by the input impedance of the sub’s amp, or by the capacitance of the cables connecting the preamp to the sub, or by both, notwithstanding how counter-intuitive all of that may seem. Although it appears those issues probably won’t occur with your particular equipment.

If all potential pitfalls are avoided, or do not apply to a given system, driving a sub via the power amp outputs has the potential advantage of providing the closest sonic match between the signals that are provided to the sub and to the main speakers, as was mentioned early in the thread.

Regards,
-- Al
Bring back an old thread from 2019 to get clarification.

I am researching the viability of adding a pair of Rythmik L12 subs to my system that is based on shortest signal path.  I run a DAC directly into mono amps that sit at the base of my speakers.  No preamp, no LFE or subwoofer connections in my system.  My speaker cables are only 12” in length.  I prefer high level input connections.

Miller Carbon suggested a solution to connecting a subwoofer to high level signal source when a high level signal source input is not available on the subwoofer.

The clarification I am looking for is the “Parts Express” LOC, that is mentioned earlier in this thread.  It states that it has a 30 watts max rating.  If my amplifier is rated at 400 watts, what reliability concern is there due to the vast differences in ratings?

Hopeful the Electrical Engineers and millercarbon will chime in and provide clarification on why the difference in ratings would not be a potential reliability issue.  These electrical concepts are above my pay grade.

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.

Neil

@nsm1979

Hi Neil, the last time I checked, Rythmik did offer an amp option that contained a high level input. I would contact Rythmik with your questions.