Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Rana couldn't have anyone any better than Argerich to look up to. I always remember a quip by Barenboim who was having lunch one day with Arthur Rubinstein when old Rubinstein brought up Martha Argerichs name when they were discussing pianists. Arthur said what a fabulous player she was but why did she always play so fast and Barenboim was quick to reply say ing "because she can!!" Barenboim heard a muffled whisper from Rubinstein "Touche".
In the interview, Rana describes her childhood and family.  She lived with her parents until she was 18 years old, and outside of being a prodigy, her life was very normal.
Argerich had a very different childhood.  Recognized in Argentina as a prodigy,  Peron created a job for Argerich's father as a consular officer in Vienna so that she could study with recognized teachers (Gulda was first).  So she had no continuity of social life or friends, and she has explained how difficult this was for her.
I'm just listening to a very well recorded and executed Mahler - Symphony No 9 from Herbert Blomstedt and Bamberg Symphony Orchestra. I have to say I am enjoying it as it is not as frenetic as Solti and not as leaden as Klemperer . It is very well recorded except for a bit of squeezed dynamics which is perfectly understandable considering the massive dynamics of the work in the first place.

At over 90 Blomstedt is still in heavy demand world-wide , a true master !

On records his Nielsen Symphonies 1,2 and 3 with the San Francisco on Decca is utterly magnificent ,one of the best outings I’ve ever heard .

Live , his Bach B Minor Mass with the Gewandhaus is burned into my soul .

Bamberg is not only one of the worlds most beautiful cities, its Symphony

is outstanding and has been so for a long time .

A great recording of the Bamberg is a Schubert 9th under Jonathan Nott

on Tudor 7144 . If you can find it you won’t regret it .