What’s your vote for the most ridiculous, overpriced, and useless tweak?

My vote: Furutech Outlet Cover 105 NCF $220, with “special crystalline material that has two “active” properties.” https://www.thecableco.com/outlet-cover-105-ncf.html

glow_worm
I wouldn’t dismiss tachyons so quickly. Any more than, say, artificial atoms or quantum teleportation. 

from somewhere in cyberspace. OK, Wikipedia, you got me!

“The possibility of particles moving faster-than-light was first proposed by Robert Ehrilch and Arnold Sommerfeld, independently of each other. In the 1967 paper that coined the term,[3]Gerald Feinberg proposed that tachyonic particles could be quanta of a quantum field with imaginary mass. However, it was soon realized that excitations of such imaginary mass fieldsdo not under any circumstances propagate faster than light,[4] and instead the imaginary mass gives rise to an instability known as tachyon condensation.[1] Nevertheless, in modern physics the term "tachyon" often[1][5] refers to imaginary mass fields rather than to faster-than-light particles. Such fields have come to play a significant role in modern physics.

The term comes from the Greek: ταχύ, tachy, meaning "rapid". The complementary particle types are called luxons (which always move at the speed of light) and bradyons (which always move slower than light); both of these particle types are known to exist.”

When I was a kid working in the amusement park I would sometimes work the Carny side of things. You quickly learned who was savvy and who was a mark. Some of the marks knew they were but played along because they were only throwing away peanuts. Some had no clue.
When I had the stripper living with me I saw the same effect. When I took my friends to her shows for free we would always be treated like marks when we walked in. After we let out that we knew somebody in the show we were treated like family instead of schmucks. The deal was that we weren't stupid enough to actually pay money for the show. We were alright.
Think audio is any different?
Really, do you?
Cork turntable mats - replacing the original Linn LP12 mat - what was I thinking! It sounded so bad.
Glow_Worm, "(just read your Stereophile Scull example, hilarious!) " Was that the April edition?
That one belongs to millercarbon, Google it it’s easy to find. Worth a few minutes because it’s truly a beaut!