UPGRADE FROM VPI SCOUTMASTER

Is the vpi prime a significant upgrade from the Scoutmaster.
digital3
Unipivot arms don't. They are a cheap and easy way to build a tonearm. No bearings to adjust no tolerances to meet. Too many degrees of freedom when you only want two. Even Graham has to resort to an array of magnets to stabilize his. A stiff arm tube is not good with a sloppy bearing. 
Atmasphere, IMHO I do not think speed stability is an issue with most modern turntables. I think isolation is significantly more important along with mechanical stability under the conditions that most of these units operate. Flash idea! As you know I am fond of suspended turntables like SOTA and SME. Why don't we engineer a turntable suspension that is tunable and can be modded for use with most unsuspended turntables. I do not know of an effective one and I am sure there has to be a patent in there somewhere.
VPI lost me with Unipivots, no anti skating, idler wheels and looks over performance. I do not want to spend money on jewelry. I want performance. Having said that they are coming around. Their new Direct drive table is handsome and you can get it with a gimbaled arm. Bravo. Now engineer it with an effective suspension, give it a dust cover and you are getting me interested. 
Atmasphere, IMHO I do not think speed stability is an issue with most modern turntables. I think isolation is significantly more important along with mechanical stability under the conditions that most of these units operate
Get a Sutherland Time Line and place it on the turntable in question, then see how long the dots stay put. Place record with some bass impact- watch what happens with the dots when you set the arm on the LP.

The dots should not drift.

All radial tracking arms have some skating forces. As the speed varies so does the skating force. This causes the arm to oscillate slightly over the stylus, altering its left to right tracking force slightly. You certainly can't hear the variance in pitch, but you can hear the stability of the sound stage when the speed is locked in.
My 2cents, VPI makes a great product at reasonable cost, I find it easy to set up and the Unipivot arm is great IMO. Are there better out there, of course but not everyone wants to sell a kidney. For myself I'm very much pleased with my VPI and cannot see any reason to want/need any other. As to the bashers, keep on bashing while I keep on listening to whatever may be playing on my VPI.
Enjoy the music!
I have had the 1200G for a little over a year.  It takes a while to figure out what works best.  Its a great table even without upgrading the arm which I am sure takes it to a completely different level.  I like mine with torque turned down completely and stock arm with original headshell.  I would like to try that oracle mat. I am currently using the older Boston audio "The Mat" and a Lyra Delos at 1.72 grams with matching anti skate.  Sounds pretty good to me