Alon 4 or JBL590?

By any chance has anyone out there heard both speakers and care to offer an opinion on which is better?
I may have a chance to buy either, but cannot audition beforehand.
Not recommended I know, but curious as to experiences of others as to how they compare!
spa317
Hi spa, I have not heard the JBL's but I used to own the ALON 4's, I sold them, not because I did not like the sound ( I did! ) but because they needed so much power to get them to sound good! At least 200 watts per channel!  That really limited the amps I could use, as good 200 watt amps are very expensive. I have since only used speakers with high sensitivity so my choice of amps is greatly increased.Just something to think about,TISH
racamuti - Thanks. Do you mind if I ask what you moved on to, and whether they sound as good or better than the Alon's?

canibefrank - Thanks also, 'can I be frank'(!) with you and ask your reason for suggesting that 590 are better? :-)
My answer is not going to help because I went in a different direction and I'm now using a 2 watt amp with a pair of Sonist Concerto 4's.When I sold the Alon 4's, I bought reference 3A De Capo's and then Sonist Concerto 2's and now Sonist Concerto 4's.I'm retiring next month so these will be my last!  But I have no desire to change speakers as these were the sound I was after.Good Luck, TISH
@spa317 

I can't help you with your comparison of the 2 speakers but I can give you my 2 cents on the Alon 4's. They were my first real high-end speaker and I really liked them. As racamuti said they need a powerful amp to drive them. At the time I used a BAT VK 500 se (200wpc) with a BAT tube preamp. The sound was fantastic! After 6 months or so I also bought the speaker cables that Acarian Systems designed to be used with their speakers. A tri-wired pair that I believe were called Black Orpheus, that greatly improved the sound. I almost bought the Alon 5's after the 4's but decided to go with a pair of Proac Response 5's. The Alon 4's have great bass extension and a good midrange and top end, of course that depends on electronics and cables upstream. They do need to have some breathing room to sound their best....good luck!
More to discover