How far have ss amps really come in the last twenty years?

I have owned and enjoyed my Jeff Rowland model 8 ( recently modded and upgraded by Jeff to the last version) for many years. I recently had the opportunity of comparing it ( after mods) to a few of the current ss models from Gamut, D'Agostino, YBA, Parasound, Sim audio, CH precision, Constellation,PS audio,Pass Labs  and Musical Fidelity. The results were very interesting, because to my ears and in the systems that we did the comparison, the Rowland held its own against all but the most expensive D'Ag and CH amps. Even those were only very slightly outclassing the Rowland in the areas of top end resolution...and a tad in the bottom end resolution. Now the thing is that the last revision to the Rowland 8 was designed by Jeff over ten years ago! 
So, my question for those more technically inclined than myself is...how far has the design of ss amps come in the last ten...or even twenty years? 
128x128daveyf
Teo, I had a couple of Yamaha B2s in my time ( and a Sony vfet integrated ), and I really enjoyed them. They did not last as long for me as I would have liked, as they developed problems after long time ownership. Repair was nearly impossible to get done, for whatever the reasons ( unavailable parts supply if I remember ). I handled them with care since new, and never over taxed them. They just failed. Sold them for parts.... Atmosphere, I do not see much debating about tubes / transistors as much today. Much more debating about Class D, power cables, passive vs. active, and occasionally speakers ( horns, panels, boxes ). There seems to be an acceptance of both, imo, and that the camps of tubes and transistors have come to a stalemate. just from my readings here, and elsewhere. However, as a manufacturer of tube gear, you obviously are seeing the debate continue. My best. Enjoy ! MrD.
@mrdecibel  Its on this thread too:
No, in my limited experience, I often don't hear the difference between amplifiers (with the exception of underpowered or tube-bloated amps)
The comment is ridiculous, but one that is common in this debate, as if, somehow, hearing how tubes do things is an exception to this DBX nonsense.  The thing is, its become so ubiquitous that we don't even see it sometimes. The thing is, tubes get docked for having a higher output impedance and thus causing a frequency response error (which is often true, but also often very slight) while at the same time no-one says anything about the colorations caused by distortion. Brightness and harshness, ubiquitous to solid state, is indeed a coloration. But we just accept that this is so, and somehow its the norm. But if you listen to real music, that brightness and harshness at volume isn't there and a good tube based system doesn't have it either.

What I am saying in all this is if we collectively did our engineering homework, we could have solid state that doesn't sound harsh in any way. But, we don't, so the beat goes on.
MrDecibel...you said exactly this, "You stated you were in a band, so I believe your ears are shot, and unfortunately, you probably did not use ear protection." That's the comment I was referring to...and I also know different amps obviously sound different or I'd have no preferences...that would be boring...I can say that great amps get music to the speakers  in ways that can be tonally similar, but talk to any reasonably experienced electric guitar player and you can get the drift that all guitar amps are different, even among the same versions! I like the recent discussions about Nelson Pass researching (and atmasphere's further explaining) and implementing the adding of even ordered distortions into a circuit, as maybe that narrows the gap between a great tube amp's "musical" tone and that of well measuring SS amps, some of which also do a good job...my tube amps are a revelation of tonal "correctness," even to my recently cleaned old ears.
Mr decibel,

the problem with those two designs, is that they were only partially V-fet, as the transistors were not available to make them fully v-fet.

thus.. the chain of signal manipulation and amplification was inherently non-linear in gain, even though the V-fets in situ, were linear gain.

the whole chain must be linear gain v-fet, otherwise it will be colored enough that it is notably more difficult to discern what good the v-fets were bringing to the table.

Of the two, the Yammie was probably the better unit, as it had some middling sized v-fets in the driver stage, IIRC... and then the output stage was all v-fet.

Only ONE Sony unit had a second and singular ’small signal’ V-fet in it other than the final output transistor stage, and that is the Sony TA-5650 integrated amp. It had a set in the phono section.
wolf, I understand I said it. I was creating a situation, an excuse, for roberjerman, as to why he always claims " he hears no difference between amplifiers ". I could have said he worked in construction as a jackhammer operator, without using ear protection, but I wanted it to be music related. I am sorry, as I know and respect, that you are in the live music industry. BTW, I do know people in the music industry, and other industries, who have bad hearing because of their everyday life occupations. Atmasphere, I obviously missed that. Always, and Enjoy ! MrD.