Take up drums at age 56?

I know this technically has nothing to do with high end audio but I know there are some drummers here that might be able to help me along here....or tell me to skip it altogether. And it does have to do with music.

I'm almost embarrassed to even post this. I'm 56. I have never played a musical instrument other than dabbling with a harmonica. I do not read music. I am certain that I'll never perform for anyone or play in a band.

But I've always wanted to play drums.

And now I have enough money to get a simple cheap used drum kit and I have a basement that is isolated enough to not bother the neighbors. (I actually have an acquaintance who refurbishes used drums who can probably hook me up).

So I have a couple of questions:

1) Can you teach yourself to play drums? Alone or with YouTube etc? Are actual lessons required? Can I skip the practice pad and start with a kit?

2) Is there any point? In other words, even if I were to learn to play are the drums the kind of instrument that you sit down and play for your own pleasure the way you would a guitar?

My realistic expectation is that I'd get a simple kit. Try to do something with it. Find that it is much harder to do than it looks, especially for a guy with two left feet. It sits in the basement for a while and then I sell it for a big loss but hopefully at least happy that I tried it.

Any other thoughts on the matter?

(If totally inappropriate for this site I have no problem removing the post.....especially if someone points me to a better site for the topic.)

n80
@n80  Didn't you say the music shop offers lessons? It would be a tremendous help getting started if you sat in with another drummer.

You can do rudiments on your own.

@lowrider57 : "Didn't you say the music shop offers lessons?"

Yes, $100 per month which is 4 lessons. Very reasonable in my opinion. I would like to be better at rudiments and overall feel for the kit before I do lessons. I'm nervous about not being able to do _anything_ the teacher asks me to do. Some simple kit exercises that require limb independence completely elude me. I know it sounds backwards but I'd like to be a little better before I take lessons.
I understand. Get more control between your left and right hand with rudiments. 
IME, the coordination on the kit that comes first is right hand, left hand, right leg. Coordination of the high hat is next, so dont worry too much.

And since you're a beginner, the instructor won't expect you to lay down a groove on the kit. He may start with hands only on high hat and snare... 1+2+3+4. Then add bass, etc.

$25 hour is great. I think I paid $20 in 1972.

So I've had the kit for about a month now. 'Practicing' at least an hour a day on most weekdays and weekends when I'm in town.

I'm practicing rudiments and limb independence exercises and working on some shuffles. Left hand still very lacking in precision and coordination compared to right.

I can do a basic shuffle but wanted to learn the Purdie shuffle. It just sounds so cool. But I'm not getting anywhere close even when it is broken down by YouTube instructors. A bit too soon I think. But it is a long term goal.

I've got a couple of simple retro style rock songs that I can play all the way through (JD McPherson). On one of them I saw the band live a few weeks ago and the drummer played it very different at the show than he does on the album.

So now a question. I do most practice through the headphones but I've also got a computer audio system (two small ribbon speakers and a subwoofer with the amp in it.) I prefer this to the headphones when I can do it without disturbing anyone at home. It sounds okay but is obviously limited, but it was lying around so cost nothing.

I have access to an old beat up pair of B&W towers with a huge subwoofer along with an integrated Yamaha home theater system.

Any reason not to give those a try? The module on these drums has RCA output. I know a dedicated amp or PA would be better, but not ready to spend any money in that direction yet.

Finally, how should I position such a system. On the drumming videos most drummers have a PA system behind them.....but I'm not performing for anyone so I would assume I'd just have it facing me? 
@n80, the way to strengthen your left hand is to lead with it. If you are practicing rudiments (do it on a practice pad, rather than sitting at your set), play the "R" parts with your left hand, the "L" with your right. Set your kit up backwards, forcing yourself to play left handed and footed. It will feel very awkward and you'll suck at it, but it will bring your left hand and foot closer to your right. Did you know that although Ringo set-up and played right handed, on his fills he led with his left hand? Weird!