Bi amp pros out there I could use some help! First time Bi Amping...

Just picked up a BAT vk 200 for the bass and using my Pass Aleph 5 for the mids and tweets. Ive never played around with bi amping so I apologize in advance for any lame questions My speakers are Dunlavy SC3's original 5.5 nominal load. The pass is 90 wpc at 4 Ohm and the BAT is 200 wpc at 4 ohm so Im guessing around 75 wpc off the Pass Amp and 150 plus with the Bat Amp. My pre amp is a Aleph P and Im running the Single ended through a XLR adaptor (cause the Bat is Balanced inputs only) and the pass Aleph 5 off the XLR outputs of the pre and inputs of the Pass amp. The PASS Pre Amp manual says there is a 6db differential between the RCA and XLR outputs  two and both can be driven at the same time. So the RCA is 9db and the XLR is 15 db. Gain is within 2db on each amp. So whats the best way to do this? Get a custom XLR "Y" connector and drive both off the XLR output of the pre? Or is there a way better way to get the magic? This is past my "WORLD" Map and experience so Id thought Id ask for the smart people for advice. 

Thank you in advance!

-ALLGOOD
128x128haywood310
I will leave a report on the differences I find between single and biamp on  this discussion in a couple of weeks. I have many years listening experience, so it should be relevant. So if you would like to know, then click the `Follow this discussion` at the top!
To the naysayers: biamping is definitely advantageous with the separation of reactive energy from the woofers from the mid/high drivers. You will experience cleaner midrange and treble if you use amplifiers rated with enough power to stand on their own in non-biamp configuration. I recently upgraded my amps, quadrupling the available power to drive the same speakers, and the difference is very noticeable. 

Next stop: experimenting with subwoofer swarms. 

Thank you all for the detailed responses! It means a lot to a guy like me, or just me. Take care and Happy early Memorial Day weekend to any Vets.

-Allgood 

PS I didnt add that I have two Hsu Research ULS 15 sealed subs that I am running stereo via speaker level from the Dunlays but no high pass just for the foundation. Was thinking of adding a third to try and get that swarm effect.Thank all of you!
Looking at some rear panel photos of the Hsu ULS-15 it appears that it may have a two-prong IEC receptacle for its power cord. If so I don’t see any issues regarding the presence of the subs in the system.

However if they have a three-prong receptacle, and a three-prong power plug, I would suggest that you connect their speaker-level inputs to either the output terminals of the Pass amp or to the mid/hi terminals of the Dunlavys. Connecting the negative speaker-level input terminal of a powered sub that has an AC safety ground connection to the negative output terminal of a fully balanced amp (such as the BAT), which as a fully balanced amp has a full amplitude signal on that terminal, may cause problems and conceivably even damage depending on the impedance through which circuit ground and AC safety ground are interconnected within the particular amp and sub. And of course that would also apply if the connection is made to a speaker terminal to which the negative output terminal of the balanced amp is connected.

In the biamp configuration you have described the Pass amp won’t be supplying a great deal of current or power at bass frequencies, of course, but since it will be approximately gain matched with the BAT amp the subs will receive essentially the same full-range signal voltage and hence similar bass information regardless of which amp they are connected to.

Regards,

-- Al
Ive decided Bi amping is just too much for me... Not to mention my OCD is off the charts with all the variables that were discussed in this thread. So Im gonna stick with the Pass for the Dunlavys and try to Swarm (mutil sub) the bass. Ive spent at least 60 hours A/B ing the BAT and the Pass. I really really like the BAT VK 200 and it  sounds just like a Levinson 334 to me and I cant recommend this amp enough to anyone especially given the used market price. There was one review I read that said "It just sounds good enough" and I cant agree more. But there is something about that 2 stage Aleph that grabs my soul every time I listen and I just cant get rid of. I cant even turn off songs I dont like. Its a trophy wife well actually much better I had one of those. haha. Thanks again for all the input.