Acoustic treatment

I want to build my own bass traps and was wondering if there are any other alternatives to fiberglass and rokwool. Foam is not a consideration as I don't believe it has the necessary qualities for absorption. I have heard of cotton batting, does anyone have experience with this material. The idea of fiberglass makes me itch just thinking about it, but I'm resigned to using it or rokwool if that's all I have.  Please make suggestions and let me know your experiences.

Thanks
Mike
zardozmike
Size isn’t everything. I just got through explaining it. Hel-loo!
zardozmike,

Simple, just buy and install the AK Swarm and forget about bass traps, room correction software/hardware, Helmholtz resonators, mijostyn and Mr. Rocket Science forever.

Tim
Or just buy more subs. I don’t see anything magical about the AK Swarm. What I gathered is that 4 subs, semi-carefully placed will essentially do a better job of EQ-ing itself than room correction software.
dtximages:
"Or just buy more subs. I don’t see anything magical about the AK Swarm. What I gathered is that 4 subs, semi-carefully placed will essentially do a better job of EQ-ing itself than room correction software"

Hello dxtimages,

You're correct, the key to the distributed bass array (DBA) concept's effectiveness is having 4 subs distributed throughout the room and anyone can create their own custom DBA system using any subs they prefer.  Four small DIY subs or four huge and expensive JL Audio subs, or any subs in between, will work.  The DBA concept is scalable and flexible and provides accurate, detailed, smooth and natural bass response in virtually any room and seamlessly integrates this bass with any pair of speakers, even fast planar-magnetic and electrostatic speakers.
     You're also correct that you don't see anything magical about the AK Swarm or a custom DBA system, all the magic is heard and felt but not seen.

Tim

In the case of the much maligned CD not very much of the bass frequencies are coming through anyway so what’s the difference?