How far have ss amps really come in the last twenty years?

I have owned and enjoyed my Jeff Rowland model 8 ( recently modded and upgraded by Jeff to the last version) for many years. I recently had the opportunity of comparing it ( after mods) to a few of the current ss models from Gamut, D'Agostino, YBA, Parasound, Sim audio, CH precision, Constellation,PS audio,Pass Labs  and Musical Fidelity. The results were very interesting, because to my ears and in the systems that we did the comparison, the Rowland held its own against all but the most expensive D'Ag and CH amps. Even those were only very slightly outclassing the Rowland in the areas of top end resolution...and a tad in the bottom end resolution. Now the thing is that the last revision to the Rowland 8 was designed by Jeff over ten years ago! 
So, my question for those more technically inclined than myself is...how far has the design of ss amps come in the last ten...or even twenty years? 
128x128daveyf
SS amplification reached sonic equivalence decades ago! If you think that amplifier A sounds better than amplifier B, remember it is only in your mind - not in Reality! Expectation bias is the ruling factor here when trying to ascertain amplifier "quality"!
All today's SS amplifiers measure exceedingly well in all parameters! Sonic neutrality is the order of the day! To say that amplifier A sounds "better" or "blows away" amplifier B is to be guilty of delusional thinking! Measurements rule - not "my golden ears" told me it is so!
If you want to hear an amplifier sound "different" get a tube amp with an output impedance of several ohms! Ohm's Law rules here! A frequency response that will follow the varying impedance of the typical speaker.
Hogwash. All amplifiers have a sound, and are distinctly different from one another. Which you prefer has many factors, such as the speakers being driven, with their sensitivity and impedance. Amps can change a little from the output source impedance driving them. Circuit designs, parts used, size and regulation of the power supplies, all matter. What is your flavor ? The best sounding ( smoothest ) to me are Class A designs. To answer the question as to what is new in 20 years, I would say Class D output stages. For those who do not hear differences in amplification, I would not outwardly admit it. I am sorry for you, because there is much to be discovered. Enjoy ! MrD.
@mrdecibel : I probably have more amps (both SS and tube) on hand (along with speakers) than you do! So I can speak with some experience! And I agree with you that Class D is an interesting development - though I was aware of it long ago with Infinity's ill-fated attempt at it!