Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Well, I for one have broken down and ordered these without a preview session. After reading some of the posts here, I can hardly wait until "mid to late August" to receive them. It is promising when I hear comments about how versatile they seem to be.
I took delivery of Superfly #'s 21 and 22 (11th pair, presumably) on June 29 and am still putting some break-in time on them. They have replaced a pair of B-rated (Stereophile) speakers that I still like very much, but not nearly as much now as I used to. I have listened to them with both SS and lower powered tube amps (the latter is typically sweeter, though for me not necessarily better). The only music source tried so far is digital (Apple TV) running through a Theta DAC. All I can say is that for $1,800 (plus $109 shipping), the Soul Superfly's are the best audio money I have ever spent. I had not previously listened to Zu speakers, and ordered the Superfly's based upon comments/reviews of other Zu speakers. Construction and finish are excellent, and the overall listening impression is (for me in my room) much bigger than their size would suggest, and they go much lower than I had imagined they could. Detail in the highs is very good, not great, but where they REALLY shine for me is in the mids. Voices and single instruments are particularly clean. If there is something else out there that is even close at this price, I'd be very surprised.
So the questions are surely:

Would you feel the sane if you'd paid $2,600?

How big is your room?

How is it furnished?

What do you think is missing from the top end and what would we have to pay to get that?

Sorry, for all these questions but I'm an impattirnt purchaser waiting for my own and I am craving detail and pics from others.

Actualt, how about some pics :)

Mike
Kenp88,
I would just pull the tweeter on that myself, normally Zu hot glues the single capacitor to the back of the supertweet with the resistor, mills normally, you can remove it, and replace with a much better cap to get the highs more extended and silky. I believe their current cap in most models is the Kimber cap on the standard setup, its not bad, but I don't like them, to hard and flat sounding in my opinion. They use to use the Solen fastcaps 10 years ago and then started using Mundorf Silver/oils for the higher end models and special editions.

This model obviously comes in the "Superfly" with a Mundorf cap I believe. I would just do this yourself if you want for much less money, a pair is not too bad for these caps, but pricey.

I found the better caps for the money are the Clarity MR's and the Jantzen superior Z's. You can do a pair of Jantzens for about 20 bucks! Most of the Zu super tweets have a single resistor and a 1uF cap or 2uF cap and thats it. Easy to find out calling them or pulling it yourself by just removing the 4 screws. One caution however is that the Big time Mundorf, Clarity caps etc... Are PHYSICALLY as large as the tweeter, and when mounted to the back they take up the entire size and just fit thru the tweeters mounting hole. This is just he same if Zu does it for you, I have modified several in the past.
By the way Zu also favors a "Battery" of caps on their tweeters in many models, meaning if they are using a 2.0 uF total value they use Dual 1uF caps strapped together, this can down the size slightly as well vs. one large cap, if you use mundorf Silver/oils this gets very expensive and is why they offer the upgrade at a much higher cost I assume, as in the Definition II. Essentially mundorf caps are Dual caps inside of one already, so this would mean a 2.ouF value is actually 4 caps filtering the tweet...