"You cannot handle the truth"

Should anybody be weary about any equipment (mostly new) that are barely used, no way near the usual break-in period, before putting it on sale?

Like, why would anybody used it for, say, 70 hours or so, then decided to sell?  It's always a red flag to me, as if it's some kind of lemon, some forgotten freight being fall off from a truck, or the equipment sounds woeful....   I would not think any legit dealer would be that casual neither.

Not to upset anybody.... would love to hear some reasonable explanations such that I don't make the wrong assumption...
bsimpson
I do a fair amount of buying/selling in desktop audio, including headphones. I definitely have sold several headphones, other things because it became crystal clear from 1st listen that I didn't care for their sound. Usually I continue burn-in, hoping for better, but in these cases, the sound that displeased me wasn't changing for the better, so out they go.

I'm not alone in this behavior.

On the flip side of the coin, 3-4 months ago I stumbled over a listing for the endgame headphone and top HP tube amp I'd been thinking of getting. Both cost enough new to give me pause--and here they were, F.S. by a single person who explained that they had been barely used/weren't fully burned in. He had purchased this system for use while exercising, then realized he didn't like headphones much, if at all--and his plan wasn't working. OK, that's quite a tale, might not even be true. Except he had a lot of positive feedback on multiple sites (I checked--zero negative feedback). And his profile on the F.S. site included links to his business, complete with pictures of himself & his wife. Reading between the lines, he has plenty of money, enough not to care about this "mistake." 

So I bought these 2 items (together = the largest used gear purchase I ever made). The sale included a complete set of NOS tubes he had acquired for the tube amp. Punchline: everything was exactly as described. About as new as not brand new gear can appear/act. 

I'm not saying that purchasing nearly-new gear is without risk. Nothing is without risk. But if you check things out thoroughly, it might be worth the plunge, especially if you pay w/Paypal & have recourse in the event of a bad outcome...
@kahlenz
"70 hours is probably a years worth of listening for most of us"

Would you please elaborate a little more?  70 hours ...
= less than 12 minutes a day, or
= around 1.5 hr per week

Post removed 
1.5 hours a week.  I posted about this on another thread ( https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/what-a-sad-world-we-now-live-in/post?postid=1752367#1752367 ).

Of course, that is for those of us that work and have lives outside of audio.  I think I may edge a little higher than that, but not much.  And I enjoy this hobby as much as anybody.
Now that is actually sitting down to listen without distractions.  I may have the radio on in my car, or listen to my local classical station (WILL Urbana IL, Tivoli Model 1) when I'm making pizza dough, or even catch a short tune on the elevator at the doctor's office, but I don't count those sessions.  That's just background music.