Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
Yes, I must say that I can recall a bunch if cynical men of varying (but not that varying) ages listening to Hugh Masakela on the Presence. At the end there was just a silence and someone quietly commented that that was as good as they'd heard anywhere to hushed agreement. That was the only time I'd heard Presence and I was mightily impressed, however, the key I think was that I'd already heard rhe Druids and the Druids were slow as stated to reveal their charms. Indeed it was only when replaced by Sonus Faber as I recall that the penny dropped.

Interestingly, we also heard them when they were off ie not quite happy with their position or possibly being shunted around. Had I heard just that I would have fallen into the okay but nothing special camp. However, later in the day they settled and for me were nothing less than mesmerising.

Bring on the Superfly :)

mike
Brings back good memories of the day, I remember someone working out if he sold his power supplies, headphones, headphone amp and one of his kidneys, he could just afford the Zu Presence.

It was really strange with the Druids that day, they did not like being shunted about, and were mesmerising once they were sat in one place for a hour or so.

The Superfly are going to be very interesting based on Phil's reports so far.
It's going to be a very long few weeks...........
Nah, surely the anticipation is always the best bit until they really settle down! Or was it Tom Petty who said that the waiting is the hardest part.

Must admit you've reminded me that longer term I may experiment with taking the Naim power supplies out of the loop. My recall is that the Druids upstairs at Audio Counsel were incredible, utterly compelling, on a bare cdx2, 202, 200, which is my system minus power supplies. Weren't the Presence on the end of the sake thing? Thus my calculations re: Headline, Hi-Cap, XPS2 and indeed possibly bodily organs!

I wonder if anyone here can explain this phenomenon of the improvement you get when you remove Naim power supplies?

Mike
I gave the Virtue Audio TWO.2 4 days straight to burn in with my speakers while I was away from home and things have improved greatly. Class D amplification may be a very legitimate option for these speakers.

Its a trade off of strong points between the two amplifiers.

The presentation of the Virtue is musical warm and relaxed with the Zus while the F1 is more neutral and aggressive leading to a more raw presentation.

The Virtue seems to throw a larger soundstage than the Firstwatt and may be a little more delicate and neuanced while the Firstwatt kicks the Virtues' tush in the bass impact department although the Virtue is still nice and extended in the low end.

I should mention this Virtue TWO.2 is using batteries rather than AC.

I'm getting the feeling that it will be difficult to make these speakers sound bad.
Well, I for one have broken down and ordered these without a preview session. After reading some of the posts here, I can hardly wait until "mid to late August" to receive them. It is promising when I hear comments about how versatile they seem to be.