Zu Soul Superfly

I just ordered a pair of the new Zu speakers on a whim. I was going to wait for information, but the fact that they threw in the free superfly upgrades to the first 30 people got me.

From a similar thread it sounds like some of you guys have heard the speaker despite information only being released today. I'm wondering what you can share about it?

Also, I am really hoping it works with a Firstwatt F1 amplifier. Can anyone comment as to that? I know the Druid's and Essences worked OK.
gopher
"06-08-10: Mahughes
Can we just clarify the maths as those figures don't tally with quotes I've had from Zu in the past for bringing into the UK. The costs quoted on their site don't appear to equate with that either. If I'm wrong then cosmic carbon it is :)

Mike"

I was quoted $2000 for the gloss black and approx $350 for the shipping on the Zu Soul Superfly.
My pair was scheduled to be delivered Tuesday, but the FedEx man came by today with my Superflys. They sound very good right out of the box driven by my First Watt, but I received them with hardwood floor footers rather than spikes for carpet.

I'm going to give Zu a call on Monday to get that and whatever literature was supposed to come with the speakers that may have been accidentally omitted.

Still even with the gap not being optimal, I think I'm going to enjoy these speakers. More more body and drive to the presentation--hopefully resolution sets in with burn in.
My initial impressions are very positive. I'm hearing a much more complete sound than my Abbys could convey. I was not aware I was missing out on as much treble detail/extension as I was with my prior single driver, but the super tweeter is really great.

The mids are full and textured but I'm detecting a bit of hardness which I suspect will go away with break in, also I do find myself wanting a touch for more detail in this area.

The bass is obviously not optimal using floor mounts in carpet, but even still I can't really complain. It is fast and punchy.

This speaker does dynamics better than my Abbys which I felt were one of its strengths. Its an exciting presentation.

One surprise for me is that despite the significantly higher sensitivity (101 from 95) my noise floor is down. While my First Watt (which is working great in this system btw) is pretty silent in operation, my preamp is not usually as quite, but now I can't hear the low level of noise I could with my less efficient speakers.

Also, I seem to open the volume pot MORE now than before to get to similar levels. Not much more, but I worried going to this level of efficiency I wouldn't be able to fine tune volume levels as easily.

As far as looks go, the pictures on the site are pretty accurate, even at night under artificial light they look similar to the direct sun pictures. While they aren't as pretty as the Abby's, they are attractive in their own right, simple, clean and very well finished.

FWIW I have serial numbers 11 and 12, so I guess I have the sixth pair made.

Sigh... I guess its time to post the Abbys up for sale. Hate to do it, but based on my experience so far, Phil is probably right that I can move to these from my prior speakers without missing any aspect of the old sound.
Thanks Gopher. Keep us all posted. I'm especially interested in how the mid band develops as that, for me, was the great strength of the Druids. The sense of air being physically moved when a sax or a trumpet was blown; that sense you were hearing a real musician and not just a facsimile.

I can't be bothered to trawl through earlier posts but had you heard the Druid or not?

I'm hopeful a UK pair will be here soon for demo!!!

Mike